New Discussion юеВ

DL360 gen10 and controller boot order

slesru
Frequent Advisor

DL360 gen10 and controller boot order

Hello!

I run DL360 Gen 10 server with Smart Array E208i-a, which I use as boot device,

I use legacy boot mode.

Now I need to add external jbod to it, so I bought P408E-P.

I can install it, it can create array on external jbod, problem is in boot- in boot menu I can see only 408E, as you can see on picture, so server tries to boot from it, not from 208, and, obviously, fail.

I can see both devices in boot menu if I remove/install 408E , i.e. if it is new hardware for system and there is no jbod connected to it.

IMG_20190102_154220.jpg

IMG_20190102_154236.jpg

[Moderator edit: Erased the confidential info.]

As you can see both controllers are installed.

I just installed latest SPP, but no luck.

Could you tell me can I boot system from 208 while both 208 and 408 are installed?

Thank you!

4 REPLIES 4
BPSingh
HPE Pro

Re: DL360 gen10 and controller boot order

Please ensure that both Smart Array E208i-a and Array P408e-p not installed on slot 3

Please refer "Changing the Legacy BIOS Boot Order list " (page 79) and Setting bootable devices for Legacy Boot Mode (page 34) on below link. Beside that you can also check the legacy boot order in BIOS.

http://itdoc.hitachi.co.jp/manuals/ha8000v/hard/Gen10/UEFI/881334-004_en.pdf

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
slesru
Frequent Advisor

Hello! Your link is about setting logical drive for boot. I have only 1 logical drive on each controller, so this is not the case. I can't choose controller 208, just because it is not in list- I think this is firmware bug. Controller 208 is on-board, so there is only one slot for it, I removed 408 for now, but there are only two empty slots: PCI-E Slot 1 Empty slot 1 N/A N/A PCI-E Slot 2 Empty slot 2 N/A N/A i.e. I can't install it into slot 3. Thank you!
BPSingh
HPE Pro

As per the screenshot shared earlier, I understand that E208i doesn't show up under controller boot order.

Did you get a chance to test this in UEFI mode? Please test this in UEFI mode once but please note that if you change the BIOS boit mode then you may have to re-install the OS.

If you want this to work in Legacy boot mode then I would request you to log a support case with HPE so that the issue can be further investigated. 

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
slesru
Frequent Advisor

Yes, you are absolutely right about problem I have. Sorry, I don't want to reinstall OS. And, just because I found some hardware problems with quite old jbod, (namely, it's power supplies) I wanted to connect, I decided to not do this, so problem is not interesting for me right now. Thank you!