1753912 Members
8833 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 getting NMI errors and rebooting

Kent Meyer_1
Occasional Contributor

DL360 getting NMI errors and rebooting

This is a first generation DL360 running Windows Server 2000. This machine has just started getting blue screen stop errors. There is no number on the blue screen and just says that a hardware error has been encountered.

In event viewer it shows and event ID 4196 from CPQASM. The error is:

Compaq System Management Driver has detected that the ssytem encountered a Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI) prior to this boot. The NMI source was: PCI bus error, slot unknown.

I have run the Compaq utilities multiple times and it has not identified any problems.

In the Integrated Management Log it shows a critical error in Slot Unknown, Bus 0, Device 4, Function 0.

What is causing this problem?

I have had a similar problem in the past with another Compaq server and the problem actually ended up being with the Integrated Management Log. It seems if you don't clear the log periodically it will occasionally repeat errors that aren't actually being encountered. I have cleared the log and the server has been running now for about 1 hour without blue screening but I still wanted to see if anyone else know anything about this error.

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Kent,

I very much doubt that due to IML filling up, the server would start crashing with NMI errors.IML clearing up is periodically required to clear errors/warning from Insight Manager Server i.e if you care and if you are running IM.

As indicated in the error message, could you reboot the server, look through the RBSU (Press "F9" on system boot) to identify device 4. You could also try and correlate device 4 from Device Manager under Windows. Slot unknown is a bit of a bummer!Once the device has been identified, I would try moving the device to a different slot OR try removing the device completely.

Thinking outside the square, I would also not be surprised if the cause of NMI is faulty motherboard.So run that in the back of your mind too.

Let us know how you went.

P.S.don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,

Kent Meyer_1
Occasional Contributor

After talking with support they have dispatched someone out to replace the motherboard and SCSI controller. None of the testing has found anything bad but the problem keeps happening.

Hopefully replacing the MB it will fix the problem.

Thanks all!
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Kent,

Could you please let us know if HP actually narrows the problem to be faulty motherboard.

Regards,
Kent Meyer_1
Occasional Contributor

THey said they couldn't be sure which is was so they were just going to replace both as a precaution.

It would be nice to find the exact problem but at this point I will just happy with a server that doesn't keep crashing!

:)