1748049 Members
4955 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360 "too loud"

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

DL360 "too loud"

I was introduced to a new client yesterday after months of preparation. I am basically being used as a hardware / server / OS resource by the IT firm that "owns" the account. One of the requirements for the new server was that it be quiet. I typically used DL760s, 6400s, 6500s etc. I had used a DL360 for one customer and compared to the bigger boxes this was virtually silent, or so I thought. The machine currently has 2 18GB hot swap drives and dual 1.2GHz processors. When I installed it yesterday the people expressed concern about the noise but the owner said he'd put sound deadening material by the opening to reduce the noise. Late last night the customer called the other IT firm saying that the noise was too much to deal with and the box has to be removed. The dual 18GB drives are using the integrated RAID controller and mirrored. The primary application is RainingData's Pick which uses it's own partition which appears as a "RAW" partition to Red Hat 9. Please don't focus on the fact I'm still using version 9.
My question to this forum is: can the hot swap 18GB drives using the integrated controller be migrated to the likes of an HP Professional workstation using something like a Smart RAID controller and not loose the work I've done in building / integrating Linux/Pick and other required software?
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

John:

Check the bios on the server, update it. SOme older Dl360's has a fan issue where the fan would never kick down into normal mode and would aways stay "on supoer high".

Also, you should be able to lower the fan speed using the management agents, or at the very least... check it. I haven't done this so I might be slightly off course, but I know there were bios issues.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Andrew_346
Regular Advisor

I'm assuming the onboard controller the DL360 is using is the 5i, right? (You don't menton which gen server this is)

If you were moving the drives to another machine that had the same type of controller, the only problem I can see is the other hardware incompatabilities. The drivers that are already installed in your LInux build may not match up and you'll have a longer road cleaning up the current install than you would by starting fresh on a new box...

Personally, I've never put a server RAID controller in a workstation. Instead of using a DL series, have you thought about an ML? ML servers are designed in the direction of an office setting rather than a production data center setting. ML350 would be a similar performing machine.

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

This is the first generation DL360. I've put Smart2/Ps into workstations but that was so long ago I can't remember what error the BIOS reported, if any.
I have not worked with the ML series. If it has any fan noise then it would not be acceptible to this client. The IT company that requested I do hardware/OS etc previously used low end "white box" desktops that produce little if any fan noise. The drive is slow (5400RPM) which doesn't produce much heat and of course they didn't have hot swap capabilities.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Is this their only 1U server? I suspect the noise the fans are making are normal for this server. Also what kind of environment is the server installed in? Is it in a server room or office?
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

Yes, this is their only "server". The previous server is a desktop used to perform server functions. The scaled down version of Linux runs only enough services to support the proprietary database and Digiboard. Not even Ethernet drivers though there is an Ethernet controller on the motherboard. Small office, server 20 feet from secretary in corner with 2 HP 4000 laser printers, label printer and fax machine. Owner sits in next room (office) on other side of the wall from the server.
Jonathan Gray_1

D360's will be loud... Is this in an office ? If they are going to put sound deadening material by the opening I assume they mean vents which will be suicide for the air conditioning.

I must admit I have worked with various Generations of the DL360 1U and each release got louder and louder. (heavier and heavier as well funnily enough)

It sounds like they will only be happy with a desktop.. Just warn them they wont get server uptime.

I wouldnt advise the drive swap, depending how you have it configured it will be a messy install with the hardware difference and should you resolve the issues without a reinstall they may come up again.
Steve Kadish
Trusted Contributor

Just to be clear - in earlier generations of the Proliants fan speeds were controlled by the health driver. In newer generations (I think G3 and above) the fans are controlled by the BIOS. In any event, you'll want to make sure that you have the latest revisions for the BIOS and the full Proliant Support Pack for Red Hat Linux.

I agree with other posters, however, that a DL360 in a small open space is probably going to be loud enough to make the workers unhappy. Especially if the space is not well-ventilated and if the server isn't properly racked; this could create heat issues which might make the fans fun higher!

- Steve