cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360G3 Fans always at FULL speed...

BadCRC
Occasional Visitor

DL360G3 Fans always at FULL speed...

I have a DL360G3 with VMware ESX server v2.5.2 on it. I have installed the Insight Manager Agents, but the fans are still constantly running at full speed. But there is no load on this server.

Is there anything I can do to make them throttle themselves properly?

Thanks!
2 REPLIES
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

Re: DL360G3 Fans always at FULL speed...

The DL360g3 actually has both hardware fan control and software (from the HP health driver installed under the OS). The hardware fan control has one of 2 settings, low and high. This settings cannot be accessed directly by the user - you will not find a fan setting in the F9 RBSU BIOS setup.
When the server powers up the fans should be running low. If there is an actual temperature or thermal problem, the fans will kick on high. The hardware fan control cannot kick the fans speeds down from high to low, only a reboot or restart will do this. But the health driver, the HP software management agents can do this.
So...if when you power on the server from a cold start the fans are running high or 100%, I would suspect some kind of thermal issue. What is the status of the front panel LEDs? Especially the internal health LED?
BadCRC
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL360G3 Fans always at FULL speed...

Thank you for your reply. After submitting my question I took it out of the rack and brought it back to my desk... I think my ears deceived me. After loading the Insight Manager stuff it must have done the trick.

Now it is quiet before boot, after it enters the OS it kicks up a bit, but not near as loud as it was before loading the Health Driver stuff.

Thanks for your support!