1753518 Members
5219 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360G4 - Unable to see 6i Controller

Miles Davis
Occasional Advisor

DL360G4 - Unable to see 6i Controller

When starting the above server the first time it took approx 5 mins to initialise the drives ( 2x 146gb 10k). Then error 1783 was posted. Every time the server is booted now we get Error 1785, Drive array not configured, no physical drives attached. The 6i controller is set to first boot controller. We are using SmartStart 7.10. When lauching the ACU it does not detect any physical drives in the controller. I have placed the disks into a storage array on another server and they register fine. The thread below is very similar but we are already using SmartStart 7.10. http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=691866. The bios has been updated to the Jan release. Any help most appreciate.
12 REPLIES 12
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Miles verify if SCSI backplane seating well enough, you might be able reset also connectors from system Board, and I assume you have Simplex ?
Miles Davis
Occasional Advisor

I've tried reseating. no joy. I've also just tried the startsmart 7.20 cd with no result. Windows 2003 install cd won't even recognise the disks either. I have 2 servers doing this which are exactly the same. Both server are brand new.
Miles Davis
Occasional Advisor

ps. So Simplex is a type of drive chassis to hold the drives? IF so how would I know we are using this? thanks.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Access from F8 at POST and see if Drives Detected and Configure once again. 7.10 will not see 6i
Download 7.20 (free)
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/subscription/PSM_subscription.html
Miles Davis
Occasional Advisor

I have tried 7.20 and it still didn't work. I tried F8 again at post, and it still didn't detect the drives. I think 7.10 should be able to detect the drives though, it's 7.01 that doesn't. These are 4 of 6 DL360G4's that we bought in this lot. We built the other ones a month ago using 7.10 and had no issues..
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Seems you tried 7.2 already
Only option is F8 at POST
If still problem I would try to swap SCSI backplane from good know server, SIMPLEX - SCSI backplane Option to Divide for DUPLEX.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Miles disregard simplex/duplex, I though it's DL380G4, time to make eye exam
;)
Miles Davis
Occasional Advisor

Thanks KOV, appreciate your help. I'll get the backplate switched out tomorrow with a new one. Here's hoping!!!
Miles Davis
Occasional Advisor

Well after all that apparently it's a known "undocumented" problem with the DL380G4. The scsi backplate needs to be frimly seated into the motherboard. Just put a little preasure on the backplate where the black connector meets the motherboard and you will hear it click in. It's at the back of the hard drives.