1753581 Members
6369 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360G5 Temps

DeathBlade
Visitor

DL360G5 Temps

HI, i have a DL360 G5, i am wanting to know when the fans SHOULD turn up, i had a cooling failure last week when i was not around and the server (according to ILO) was about 53C on the board temp 35 on CPU and 37 on PSU, and durning that the fans never changed at all. is this normal or should i have a concern with this? ive included a picture of the fans when the system was hot, and i am running esxi 5.1 with the HP CIM and all that good stuff. the server was putting really hot air from the back.. hotted then I would think any computer should be putting out

This was the fan speeds when the server was at said temps

4 REPLIES 4
Frans Ganzinga
Advisor

Temperaturs are hard to read as a human, I've had CPU coolers that seemed too hot to touch only to find out the core temperature was around 50 degrees Celsius. Also fan soise is hard to isolate in server closets ;)

I do not know how the fans are controlled but one thing seems odd, your CPU temperature is lower that your case temperature. That rarely happens, are you sure you're reading it out correctly?

DeathBlade
Visitor

Hi, at the time yes, and i understand what you are saying. its not noise i am worried about its the fact to how hot the system gets and watching the esx client and ilo i never see them change, here are the temps and fans at the time of this reply 

i do understand they are all normal now and never went to alert of warning but i still thing at close to 60C on system board the fans would kick up, also, the CPU runs much cooler becuase it infrom of everything, what gets hot is the ram behind it. i do know (to my understnading ) ddr2 ecc ram does run on the hot side.

thanks 

ExplorerJimmy
Advisor

Do your DL360 G5 upgrade to latest BIOS and iLO?

And on my know, it using FBDIMM not general DDR2 ram, FB is more hot than general DDR without FB, it is why all FBDIMM you see have a heatseat outlook.

I am using DL360 G5 and just bought few days ago (2nd for my personal using on my company for virtual lab test etc).

Same case like your, the iLO2 fans never rotor higher than 40% ...

But my server room is keep at 22C. The hot on my DL360 G5 still okay when I touch it.

Best Regards
Jimmy Chan
http://explorerhome.dyndns.org/blog
DeathBlade
Visitor

Yes updated to the latest ILO and BIOS, Running the esxi HP addons 

yes I know FBdimms run HOT and that's why there are heat spreaders and I know that's where the heat is from. I not concerned with heat, I have monitors that tell me everything on the cautions levels and critical levels. and I do whatever it takes to keep them there in range I am just trying to get an answer of why the fans don't kick up. My old rack server ( not HP) would turn up the fans on the first sign of heat and this one, having Intel v/t and boat load of more power I thought it would be heat picky then seeing a cooling failure and it just stays the same level of fans just 6 degrees off the warning level. to me that seems wrong. But I guess from all the answers I've gotten I guess its right..

Thanks for you input though on how you DL360acts.