5792 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL360G5 w./5drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vicky S

DL360G5 w./5drives

I purchased a DL360G5 with 5 drives, but it only sees 4. Apparently drives 5 & 6 need some kind of connector????
9 REPLIES 9
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
yes, you need an additional internal cable to connect your P400i
if you try to open the top panel of your server, you will se only one cable starting from the controller, and ending to the back-plane where are connected the first 4 bays.

you need an internal cable mini-SAS to mini-SAS internal.

if you want the part number, let me know.
tomorrow I can give it to you.

have e nice evening.

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Vicky S

It's not a 400.... it is a 200i
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

you tried to open the top panel?
bye.
TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Vicky,

With regard to the DL360 G5, documentation for the E200i raid controller shows only one connector capable of controlling 4 drives (1,2,3,4). The P400i shows two connectors and can control additional drives with the addition of a cable to the backplane (5,6).

Therefore although your 5th disk is physically installed it can't be seen by the E200i. It's effectively just a spare disk but using up power by being plugged in.

The documentation is confusing when it comes to the battery packs however as it shows the E200i with two disk connectors.

According to this documentation you would need to upgrade to the P400i with additional cable to be able to use bays 5 and 6.

I have attached this cabling guide for the DL360 G5 which shows the cable layout for use with E200i and P400i controllers. Note that the image for the E200i battery pack shows two disk connectors on the card.

Maybe not what you wanted to know but please check the card layout. If it does have two connectors then you only need the extra cable and the document shows where this is connected to control bays 5 and 6.

The SAS cable has spare part number 408763-001.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

Brian is right:

HP Quick Spec:
<<...
Storage Optical Drives
(Slimline Drive bay)
Optional DVD-ROM, DVD/CD-RW Combo (standard in performance models), DVD-RW, or Slimline floppy drive
Drive Bays Up to 6 Small Form Factor bays total
NOTE: 4 bays active in most models. Smart Array P400i controller and Mini-SAS storage cable (P/N 399546-B21) required for activation of 5th and 6th drive bays.
...>>

bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Vicky S

Thank you! I've been trying to get this information all week. I'm thinking it is time to change VARs since they can't seem to configure the server correctly OR give me the information when I let them know it's not configured correctly. Funny - I always thought that was the purpose of purchasing from a VAR... Value Added reseller?
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

you can cancel, sometimes, the "V" and the "A" ...
:-)

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

this is another piece of information from the FAQ:

<<...
How many points should I assign to replies?
Every response to your question is eligible to earn between 1-10 points. No need to worry about running out of points - when a truly awesome reply rolls in that deserves a 10, you will be able to assign it a 10! However, be careful to assign points based on the value that a reply truly provides. Use the following scale as a guideline:

o N/A: The answer was simply a point of clarification to my original question

o 1-3: The answer didn't really help answer my question, but thanks for your assistance!

o 4- 7: The answer helped with a portion of my question, but I still need some additional help!

o 8-10: The answer has solved my problem completely! Now I'm a happy camper!

Although assigning points is not mandatory, it is a key component of a strong, interactive community, and it is STRONGLY ENCOURAGED. Others have taken time to help you, so please take a moment to give them credit for their assistance!

...>>

Bye.

TJK
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Anutec
Occasional Contributor

Thank you, for the good information. ;)