5100 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

DL360p G8 - internal SD / USB issue

robbiem5
Occasional Advisor

DL360p G8 - internal SD / USB issue

Hi Guys,

I need to install ESXi 5.1 on two new DL 360p G8 servers. To keeps costs down we've not purchased any internal HDD's as the storage is all going to be through an iSCSI SAN.
I want to install the OS on either the internal SD or the internal USB.
I've physically installed a SanDisk 16GB SD Card on one machine and a generic 4GB USB on the other however when I run through the intelligent provisioning I receive the message 'There are no physical disks attached. you will need to attach a supported drive to continue'.

I've checked the BIOS to see if this needs to be enabled but can't see anything at all.

Can you advise if this is possible and if so, what I'm doing wrong here?

Cheers.

Robbie.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers > General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL) - HP Forums Moderator

1 REPLY 1
robbiem5
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL360p G8 - internal SD / USB issue

I have resolved this issue now, was a nightmare if I'm honest.

I tried to install ESXi5.1 by directly booting from the USB I created, this booted fine however the installation wouldn't proceed due to ESX not having the correct NIC drivers.
I downloaded the HP customized version of ESXi5.1 thinking this will have the correct drivers but it didn't, it failed at the same point. So I ended up downloading the .zip depot for this HP version of install, then running through the VMWare PowerCLI software to manually add the VIB's for the NIC's.

This worked a treat.

I had to choose a 1-time-boot from the USB again, it ran through the installation completely and I was also able to choose to install the OS on the SD card as this showed up as a drive!

Incidentally, the PCIe NIC card I have is a Broadcom BCM5719 (P/N: 647594-B21).

And here is the link the to process to add the VIB for the NICs:

http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/2012/04/using-the-vsphere-esxi-image-builder-cli.html

Cheers.

Robbie.