1752754 Members
4592 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL360p Gen8-Problem With iLo 4 and the URL media feature

Greg_Childers
Occasional Visitor

DL360p Gen8-Problem With iLo 4 and the URL media feature

I have someone who has been having a problem with the URL media feature not seeing the ISO from his web server. He said the error message says "no disc found" so he used a know good working server and it works fine ( using the same network connections). I think it may be a problem with his network settings or possibly his path he typed in but he is very stubborn and will not listen. Has anyone else ran into this issue?

7 REPLIES 7
Goutham_Sabala
Esteemed Contributor

Probably the path, have you tried mounting the ISO from remote console ?

Was the post useful? Say thanks by clicking the white KUDOS Star!
Goutham Sabala
Greg_Childers
Occasional Visitor

That's what I don't understand is that this was through iLo 4 Remote Console how ever I am not sure if he has tried it recently and he will not let me troubleshoot it on-site. I am thinking I will get there and the path will be wrong.

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

The are basically two virtual media engines in iLO.

One is the URL-based virtual media where you host the ISO image on an external webserver, iLO acts as a HTTP client, connects to that webserver and grabs sectors from the ISO image, emulates a CDROM device and passes the data to the host system through USB.  

With the other virtual media engine, the Remote Console App on your client PC (either .NET or Java) connects to iLO via TCP port 17988 when you mount a local physical CDROM/Floppy or a local ISO/floppy image. The Remote Console App in this case is the one emulating the CD/floppy device and iLO just acts as a virtual media passthrough when it's passing all the sectors it receives from the Remote Console App to the host system through USB.

So Where should this port be open? Should this be opened on the Websever side or the server trying to access the webserver side? I guess what I am asking is: Could there be a chance that this guy is over looking something that is giving him the "no disc found" error?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

A screen shot would be most usefull here. More detail on what has been attempted would help

Greg_Childers wrote: He said the error message says "no disc found"

What is reporting the error, or where is this error seen?

Greg_Childers wrote: he used a known good working server and it works fine

How? Used another servers iLO? Just pointed a browser to the URL? What is working fine?

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Greg_Childers
Occasional Visitor

I wish i could take screen shots.

However, the iLo web browser, through the iLo 4 remote console URL virtual media feature is the one throwing the error.

Your second question, He took the network connections from the server not mounting the ISO from the URL to his webserver, through the ilo remote console URL virtual media to the server in the same rack ( same kind of dl360 g8) and tried to point the URL to his web server again ( through the known working server iLo remote console) and it worked.

Is that a little better description?

DanRobinson
HPE Pro

Using hostname or IP for the URL?
If its hostname, verify the iLO has DNS Server entries properly configured or else the DNS lookup will fail to even get the IP of the web server.

You can debug this by changing the DNS Name to an IP (Assuming the web server is not using host Headers) or by checking the logs on the web server to see if the IP of the "bad" iLO is even showing up in the logs as hitting the web server at all.

If all else fails, disconnect the iLO, put a laptop on that network connection with the same IP as the iLO has and hti the web server from there. Any routing or subnet issues should still prevent the connection is the glitch is in the network somewhere.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo