cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL360p Gen8 running new Linux OS?

JDunsworth
Occasional Visitor

DL360p Gen8 running new Linux OS?

I have a ProLiant DL360p Gen8 that I'm repurposing that I'd like to run Linux with a Redis and a few other services. I was looking first at Ubuntu but the compatibility matrix suggests that the latest supported version is Ubuntu 14.04 which after digging seems like it only supports Redis 2.8.4 which I think is a bit old. 

Is it possible to run a newer Linux OS such as Ubuntu 18 on this hardware even if things like the SmartArray are not supported? Is there more to consider than just the drives? 

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: DL360p Gen8 running new Linux OS?

@JDunsworth wrote:

I have a ProLiant DL360p Gen8 that I'm repurposing that I'd like to run Linux with a Redis and a few other services. I was looking first at Ubuntu but the compatibility matrix suggests that the latest supported version is Ubuntu 14.04 which after digging seems like it only supports Redis 2.8.4 which I think is a bit old. 

Is it possible to run a newer Linux OS such as Ubuntu 18 on this hardware even if things like the SmartArray are not supported? Is there more to consider than just the drives? 

The Gen8 servers are new enough that the current Linux versions will have the drivers needed for the Smart Array and NIC's. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
I am an HPE employee
Accept or KudoI work for HPE
JDunsworth
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL360p Gen8 running new Linux OS?

Oh, interesting. Between the compatibility matrix suggesting Ubuntu 14.04 was the certified latest version and a few threads suggesting that they upgraded to 16.04 and their RAID was inaccessible I was skiddish to try.