New Discussion

Re: DL360p gen8 ilo 4 not available/responding

SOLVED
Go to solution
clusterman
Advisor

DL360p gen8 ilo 4 not available/responding

Hi all,

I purchased a used dl360p gen8 (v1, older version). Intelligent Provisioning and iLO 4 aren't working.

For Int.Prov., I could hit F10 during boot, but the system would beep twice and then reboot. Int.Prov. was/is enabled in BIOS. I tried updating the firmware using a usb drive and the usb iso utility (I tried 1.63, 1.62b, and 1.61). It seemed to finish for 1.63, but then F10 still had same behavior. The process wouldn't complete for 1.62b and 1.61 (said something about ilo4 was unreachable?). So I figured I would try to use iLO 4. 

However, instead of the line that says to hit F8 during boot up to configure iLO4, it says that it's unavailable or not responding. It does give the ilo version as 2.20. I tried to connect to the IP address that shows up during boot; the web interface pops up, but I can't log in because it says "Connection with iLO cannot be established. If you recently made changes to the network configurations, you may need to refresh this page to re-negotiate an SSL connection.". I don't know the network settings other than the IP address because I can't access the ilo4 configurator. I tried flipping the security switch on the motherboard, but it doesn't seem to have done anything. Also tried unplugging for awhile and rebooting: nothing.

My guess is that a file on the flash is corrupted. Any idea how I can get iLO4 and Int.Prov. to work? Is there someway to reflash ilo4?

Thanks

34 REPLIES 34
clusterman
Advisor

I saw this: https://community.hpe.com/t5/Server-Management-Remote-Server/1500-iLO-4-Configuration-is-temporarily-unavailable-5/m-p/6840733

But I don't want to pay for SPP. Any idea how to do this without SPP?

Seems like this is a common problem for many ilo4 versions: https://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/iLO-4-issues/m-p/6710352

clusterman
Advisor

More info: I can print the IP address successfully. But I cannot log in to the web interface.

clusterman
Advisor

I found this: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c00719376

But it appears to be aimed at older generations. It seems the smart update manager requires an OS to be installed. Any one know if I should try that or not? I'd rather get all of the firmware sorted out before installing an OS. Supposedly I can install new firmware using SUM. 

I say that, then I find this: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5194969&swItemId=MTX_32179cba6b174fb4a43c47fd45&swEnvOid=4184#tab3

Installation:

To update firmware from the Linux operating system on target server:
Download the SCEXE file to the target server.
Execute: sh CP0xxxxx.scexe

To obtain firmware image for updating via iLO user interface, utilities, or scripting interface:
Download the SCEXE file to a client running a Linux operating system.  Execute: sh  CP0xxxxx.scexe --unpack=directory
This command will unpack the ilo4_1XX.bin into a user specified "directory". If the directory does not exist, the unpacker will attempt to create it.

To use HP Smart Update Manager on the Firmware Maintenance CD:
Place the Firmware Maintenance CD on a USB key using the USB Key Creator Utility. 
Copy  CP0xxxxx.scexe to /compaq/swpackages directory on the USB Key.
Follow HP Smart Update Manager steps to complete firmware update.

I couldn't find anything more recent than 2010 on the firmware maintenance CD/DVD... my guess is that SPP replaced it. The SUM 7.? manual says that "in offline mode, the SPP boost a small linux kernal", but again, I don't want to buy SPP because it probably costs more than I paid for the server. A newer SUM 8.? manual says:

Running from an ISO If your ISO contains updates, you can copy the ISO to a DVD or USB key. From the DVD or USB key, you can run SUM in an offline interactive or automatic mode. • Automatic mode — Firmware components update without interaction. To launch automatic mode: 1. Install the DVD or USB key into the server, boot the server to the DVD or USB key. 2. SUM launches and deploys updates after a short period. • Interactive offline mode — Allows you to use the GUI mode to deploy updates. To launch offline interactive mode: ◦ Install the DVD or USB key into the server, boot the server to the DVD or USB key.

In offline mode, SUM boots a small SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 12 boot kernel and enables updates to occur on a single server

So does this strategy make sense?

1. Download latest ilo4 online rom flash component for linux
  2. Download SUM iso and put it on a usb with the HP USB Key Creator Utility
  3. Copy the ilo4 .scexe file to the usb key in X folder
  4. Flip security switch on server mobo (done)
  5. Boot server into SUM interactive mode
  6. somehow install the new firmware
  7. Shutdown server, flip security switch back, and reboot.

I really don't want to try this without an expert's input. 

I'm guess I can use the same method to update other firmware, right? What else should I update?

Thanks!

clusterman
Advisor

Another update: I can't find the iso for SUM 8.0.0. SUM 7.6.0 supposedly has an iso listed (https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=service%20pack%20for%20proliant&t=All&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25), but I can't find where to download it. I've only found windows (zip) or linux (rpm) downloads in the enterprise support center.

The iso is required for the usb key utility. I suppose I could create one from the files, but I'm not sure if that will work.

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link.]

clusterman
Advisor

A few more comments:

It seems that SPP is the only "right" way to do this now. 

I attempted to chat with technical experts, but I can't because I don't have a warranty or service agreement. 

The sales rep said a 1 year post warranty would cost $650, which is what I paid for the server and is about 2x what a new system board is worth. She gave me the number to call for out of warranty support, but it's a premium number, so will cost me.

There are apparently some sketchy download links for various versions of SPP, including indian and torrent sites. I can't link those here obviously. I believe they've split the SPP's into production and post production after 2017.04.0.

In order to reduce the frequency at which servers need to be updated, HPE is changing the packaging and delivery of the SPP.

Going forward, two types of SPPs will be released:

• A single “Production SPP” that contains the firmware and drivers for the all of the production server generations, and

• Multiple server generation specific “Post-Production SPPs” that contain the firmware and drivers for a specific post-production server generation (e.g. Gen8 only Post-Production SPP that contains the firmware and drivers for all of Gen8 server models).

When a server generation transitions to “Post-Production,” the firmware and drivers for that server generation are frozen, packaged together on a “Post-Production SPP,” and released. The “Post-Production SPP” is supported through the EOS (end of support) for that server generation, and all future firmware and driver updates are released as hot fixes.  This eliminates the need for yearly updates.

The 2017.04.0 SPP is the last production SPP to contain components for the G7 and Gen8 server platforms. For additional information, please refer to Reducing Server Updates.

So for gen 8 proliant servers, you really want the 2017.04.0 SPP, then install any remaining driver updates/hot fixes. Later SPP's aren't useful for gen 8 servers. 

I will likely attempt to use one of the sketchy download links since this server didn't cost me that much....worst comes to worse I have to replace the system board, which is current plan B now anyways. 

Anyone have any answers to my above questions?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I haven't done it in some time now,.  If you download the HPE Scripting Toolkit for Linux, you can create a booable USB key.  It is Linux based. Download the .scexe file that contains the iLO firmware you need (might need to extract it from an RPM file)  I don't think the toolkit has all the necassary bits to run the rpm command directly, but the .scexe should run, or hpsetup

There is also the chance that the iLO itself is defective and the only resolve there would be a new system board

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

As far as I understand you want to format the ILO NAND now.

You need the hpeoncfg tool to push the script to the ILO in question, if you have a bootable ISO it needs at least the ILO driver loaded in order to perform ILO operations.

Do the format, once finished pull the plug of the server for a couple of minutes.

Then check if ILO is working again.

format operation needs ILO firmware 2.42, in older versions the format is not available.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
clusterman
Advisor

Sorry, I'm a noob at all of this. 

It looks like the scripting toolkit for linux and windows is not free. I think I managed to find the scripting toolkit for linux download here. I think the ilo firmware .scexe can be downloaded separate from an rpm, so I shouldn't have to extract it. How do I use the toolkit to make the usb bootable such that the .scexe should run? What is hpsetup?

clusterman
Advisor

I think I want to format the NAND. I'm not sure what else to do. 

You need the hpeoncfg tool to push the script to the ILO in question

Which script am I pushing and how do I use that tool to do so? It looks like hpeoncfg requires an OS to be installed, and it currently isn't. I'm not sure it would work because ilo doesn't seem to be responsive.

if you have a bootable ISO it needs at least the ILO driver loaded in order to perform ILO operations

What is on the bootable iso? So the ilo driver has to be part of the iso in order to reformat ilo?

format operation needs ILO firmware 2.42, in older versions the format is not available.

The ilo already on the server is older than that. Does that mean this won't work? Or does that mean I need the ilo firmware 2.42 in the bootable iso?