1752586 Members
3878 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL365 RAM configuration problem

Matthew Schlawin
Occasional Advisor

DL365 RAM configuration problem

My DL365 (not G5) currently has 4 1GB sticks and a single processor. I want to add a second processor and more RAM. Before I put the second processor in, I tried to upgrade the RAM on the first processor. I have 2 4GB sticks. I pulled out all four 1GB sticks and put in the 2 4GB sticks in slots 1-2. The server would not boot with a RAM error. I moved the sticks to slots 3-4, same error. I put two 1GB sticks back in 1-2 and I put the 4GB sticks in 3-4. The server boots and says it has 10GB configured, but only 2GB available. I cannot figure out how to make the other 8GB of RAM available. I am running Linux with big-smp and PAE is enabled.

I would like to put the two 4GB sticks on Processor 1 and the 4 1GB sticks on Processor 2 (when I install it) Is that a valid configuration?

If not, can I get two more 4GB sticks and make both Processors 10GB ? Or discard the 1GB and put in 4 4GB?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

10 REPLIES 10
Jmahtee

Re: DL365 RAM configuration problem

We are having a very similar problem where we cannot get more than 6Gb to be "available" even though 18Gb was installed and "configured". We have already installed our 2nd processor and it went in smoothly. We tried many possible configurations and haven't had any success with the RAM. In our case it's a DL385 G2 but appears to be the same underlying issue. If we can figure anything out I'll post but hopefully someone else has surely seen this and has some advice.
Matthew Schlawin
Occasional Advisor

What memory are you using? I bought RAM from Crucial.com and they guarantee it will work. They are sending me replacement RAM with the same specs but a different chip arrangement.

I think that Micron makes the official HP RAM. If this does not work, I'm going to try some "official" RAM next.

Matt
Jmahtee

We also bought Crucial. We are looking into firmware updates today but perhaps it's an issue with the sticks themselves? We didn't pursue that because the RAM was recognized just not initialized. It's good to know that perhaps it's still an issue with the new RAM. We've also been researching single rank versus dual rank DIMMs, etc. It's hard for us to do much troubleshooting as the main box in question is a production machine. Hope the change in crucial RAM works for you.
Matthew Schlawin
Occasional Advisor

I'll post back when it arrives and I've tested it.

Also, I did put on the latest BIOS upgrade and it did make some changes. My other BIOS would let me put in the DIMMS in any order. The new BIOS stops and says they must be installed sequentially. If I follow the instructions and put the two 4GB modules in the bank "furthest from the processor", it will not boot. But if I put the two 4GB closest to the processor the the two 1GB furthest, then it boots but will not recognize more than 2GB.

Matt
Graham White - UK

Any update on the please ?

I believe I have exactly the same problem.

I'm using Crucial 4GB Kits (2 x 2GB Single Rank ECC Reg Sticks).

I was thinking that as HP don't have a 2GB Single Rank kit (theirs are Dual Rank), it could be a recongnition issue, but I've since tried some Generic Hynix Single Rank 2GB ECC sticks, and they work fine, so that's the end of that theory.

Kingston Dual rank 2GB sticks also work fine.

Crucial UK did not have any suggestions.

I would appreciate any update you have.

Regards, Graham
Matthew Schlawin
Occasional Advisor

I found the solution yesterday. It seems that this server is very fussy over the chip configuration.

The first RAM I bought from Crucial.com only had the Crucial label on it. I don't know what the chip count was on this RAM or who makes it. The person in Crucial tech support sent a new set with the exact same specs (PC2-5300, ECC, Registered, 667), but a different chip count. This RAM had a "Micron" sticker on it and it works perfectly.

I was looking at buying the genuine HP RAM with a real HP sticker on it, and I noticed that the kit I was looking at from HP also was made by Micron.

Crucial was very helpful in solving this problem. I wish HP would not be so fussy in what type of RAM or at least publish the chip counts that this server needs.

Matt
Graham White - UK

Thanks, it's good to know that Crucial RAM can be made to work.

Do you have any more details of the replacement RAM that works correctly ?

A Part number or '256x72 DDR PC2' type description may help a lot when talking to UK technical support.

Regards & Thanks, Graham
Matthew Schlawin
Occasional Advisor

I slid the server out of the rack and read the actual Crucial sticker on the RAM.

CT51272AB667.36FE

The tech at Crucial said that the part before the dot was the same for all PC2-5300 RAM from any manufacturer. The "36FE" after the dot indicated the chip count and would be from a different manufacturer.

I checked this number with the RAM that did not work, and they had CT51272AB667 but the last four digits were different.

Hope that helps!

Matt
Graham White - UK

Thanks Matt, that's very helpful.

In case others have a similiar issue :-

CT25672AB667S.M18FG - (2GB sticks) don't work in my DL365G1

Regards, Graham