1751879 Members
5487 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL370 G6 NC375i Multifuction Driver and BSOD with /3GB in Boot.ini

SamMan
Advisor

DL370 G6 NC375i Multifuction Driver and BSOD with /3GB in Boot.ini

So I have a problem with the NC375i NICs. I have narrowed down the problem and I we have opened up a support ticket with HP. I just wanted to make the community aware of this issue.

Problem: Modifying the Boot.ini file to add /3GB the system will BSOD. We have received 2 different BSOD. Stop:0x20 and Stop:0x74.

So in order for us to run certain applications we need to modify the boot.ini file, especially with Exchange 2003. When we do this we receive the BSOD but are still able to boot into Safe Mode. So we remove the /3GB and the system boots fine. After extensive troubleshooting we narrowed the issue down to the NC375i NIC/Driver. When you uninstall the NICs and addd the /3GB to the boot.ini file the systems boots fine. But once the NICs are installed again the BSOD appears. We wanted to verify this so we moved the NC375 PCIe card to a DL380 G6 server. Made the changes to the /3GB and the issue followed. But if you remove the card and try the /3GB on the DL380 G6 using the built in integrated NICs the issue goes away. So we are 99.9% sure the problem is with the NC375i card.

Before anyone asks, yes we have the latest driver, yes we have the latest firmware, yes we have the latest Support pack, yes we have tried multiple DL370 and Dl380 servers. We have opened a ticket with HP and hopefully we can get a fix soon for this. But in case anyone else has run into this issue then I wanted to make you aware that there is no fix yet and this could very well be your issue.
10 REPLIES 10
BPR

Any response from HP yet? I am having the same issue.
SamMan
Advisor

Yes I received a response from HP. They are absolutely worthless here. They were able to recreate the issue in their lab. But are now telling us that the problem is with Microsoft.
HP needs to wise up and stop blaming their own inadequacies on Microsoft. The issue is OBVIOUSLY with the QLOGIC Nic that HP decided to use. Why they chose to move away from their Broadcom setup who the hell knows but most likely $$$. I am tired of HP blaming Microsoft and then Microsoft blames HP. This is ridiculous. Re-write the driver, redesign the NIC, or go back to the Broadcom NICs. Every single broadcom I use works. In fact, how we had to solve the issue, is we bought two Broadcom Dual-Port PCIe Nics and voila the server works.

So HP wise up and stop being retarded and fix your stuff. Quit making excuses it is getting old.
Sorry for the rant.
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Just had a customer report a similar problem today.
They dont get BSODs but the NICs just stop working!

We've worked through the following Customer Advisory but it still isnt working...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01151569тМй=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=3890172&prodTypeId=15351

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
BPR

I replaced the NIC as well to get around this issue.
SamMan
Advisor

The way we fixed it is fairly expensive but we could not get anything working right. What we did was replace our 4 port QLogic NIC that comes built in to the DL/ML370 G6 with 2 dual port Broadcomm NICs.
Sunil Katara

We also recently procured the DL 370 G6 Server & facing the same issue. Have asked my vendor to get the solution for this lets c how much now he can help us..
Mario Garzia
Occasional Contributor

WOW, we have had a long standing incident open with QLogic on this issue. They said a few times that "they have not heard of any others having this issue after the firmware update". Now I know why.

Everyone else just replaced the cards, and now we are planning on replacing the cards too. Looks like QLogic is going to be loosing a lot of money on this deal.

For anyone who is still having the issue. Try disabling flow control on the NC375i card. Most other cards this disabled by default or through autonegotiate. For some reason QLogic has it hard coded as on for RX and TX.
Sunil Katara

After a week long discussion & argument with HP we managed to get replacement of NC375i with NC364T
Mario Garzia
Occasional Contributor

Have you had any problems since switching to the NC364T card?