New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 2 Procs, 2 VRMs?

SOLVED
Go to solution
johndandison
Occasional Advisor

DL380 2 Procs, 2 VRMs?

Good evening:

You'll have to pardon my ignorance on this - if I have two processors, do I need two VRMs?

This is my setup - I have a DL380 G4, which came with a single 3.4 Xeon (SL7DY). I ordered a second processor, using the HP part number, and was shipped an SL7PG. The processors are identical except for the stepping - one is E0, the other D0, and the part has the proper HP part number. I bought the processor only; do I need a second VRM for this second processor? When I turn on the machine with only one processor, it's fine. When both are installed, my status LED turns red and the machine will never post.

Thanks,

John D
4 REPLIES 4
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes, the second VRM is required.

HP has multiple part numbers for processors of this server model: one number is for ordering a processor as a spare part (to replace a failing one), and another for a "processor option kit", intended for adding a second processor to a single-processor server.

The processor option kit for this server normally includes the processor, its heat sink and the VRM module.

Here's the part number for the Processor Option Kit for a 3.4 Xeon for your reference:

Intel Xeon X3.4-2MB/800MHz Processor Option Kit 378750-B21

The part number information is from HP Quickspecs ( http://www.hp.com/go/quickspecs ).

MK
MK
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

True.

And you must upgrade BIOS before adding CPU and VRM 2.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

johndandison
Occasional Advisor

Excellent. Thanks for the replies. I realized this when I went looking at the board and found a PPM2 slot. Ordered one last night, so I'm hoping that does the trick. Thanks for the help,

John
johndandison
Occasional Advisor

Got the PPM - fired everything up and the 2nd proc was recognized - unfortunately, Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (and Windows 7 x64) has a known issue where it will not allow processors of different steppings (although everything after NT 4) does allow it. Hopefully we'll get it knocked out. Thanks for the help.

John