Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 + 2 SmartArrays + 4354R

Jordi Lopez Gonzalez
Occasional Contributor

DL380 + 2 SmartArrays + 4354R

Hi!!!
I would like if this configuration it??s possible. One DL380 G3 with 2 SmartArrays 532 and a 4354R, with this configuration, the two SmartArray connected to the 4354R, everyone to a different channel and only one SmartArray functioning and the other SmartArray in STAND-By by the redundancy by if one smartarray kill.
Thanks
Jordi
4 REPLIES
Pedro Albuquerque
Frequent Advisor

Re: DL380 + 2 SmartArrays + 4354R

Hello, the channels in 4354R are independent, the A, just see the first 7 disks an B the others. So it's possible to have 2 smartarrays connected to the diferent channels of the 4354R, but to have redundancy between the two controllers like, for example you can do with network teaming, thats impossible!
Pedro Albuquerque
Frequent Advisor

Hi again, I have one more hint for you, what you can do is; configure one hardware raid on each controller (the same tipe of raid, and size) and then you could do a software raid, with the two raids in the 2 cards. For example;

SmartArray1= Raid5 with 7disks
SmartArray2= Raid5 with 7disks
Then with Windows storage management you can do say a mirror with the two Raid 5.
I hope this can help you.
Jordi Lopez Gonzalez
Occasional Contributor

Thx by the replies
I will like to have only one raid-5 in the 4354R and configure the two SmartArray to access to the raid-5 (one of the SmartArrays to stay ONLINE and the other stay STAND-BY by if the first SmartArray crush
It??s a difficult configuration. It??s possible this configuration???
Thx
Jordi
Pedro Albuquerque
Frequent Advisor

Has I said before that's not possible, even because, what would you gain with that?
If the Smart array fail your data is always safe, even the configuration of the raid is stored in the disks, if you change the Smart array the machine will start imediatly using that raid 5. You can't have to SCSI controllers accessing the same devices that goes against all SCSI technical limitations.