4985 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380/360 G6 and Windows Server 2003 32-bit Blue Screen

JMHouse
Occasional Advisor

DL380/360 G6 and Windows Server 2003 32-bit Blue Screen

Good Morning,

I have been struggling with the G6 hardware for a little bit now. It seems that 64-bit Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 work fine but 32-bit Windows 2003 is being a pain. I have downloaded the storage controller and nic drivers from HP for both the DL380 and DL360 G6 and injected those drivers into our OS images. Everything seems find until the GUI part of Windows Setup where it says it's "Installing Devices" and there are approx. 35 minutes remaining. That's where I encounter a blue screen with a stop 0x0000000A message. I have tried older versions of the storage controller and nic drivers with no luck. It seems like Windows Setup it encountering a piece of hardware that it doesn't have a (proper) driver for. I have tried just about every driver listed on the G6 downloads page with no luck. I also tried including Intel SATA RAID drivers with no luck.

Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt
8 REPLIES 8
ess
Super Advisor

Hi
you must first step boot whit smart start and diagnoestic for hardware implement.
please check this step and report send my.
JMHouse
Occasional Advisor

The diagnostics in the SmartStart CD show everything as fine and passing all tests. I attempted to use the SmartStart CD and a different source of Windows Server 2003 media and the installation still blue screens in the same spot.

It's interesting that the 64-bit operating systems install just fine but 32-bit is having issues.

Sometimes windows r2 wont install properly without r1 being on. just a wild guess tho.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary, is that little extra.
JMHouse
Occasional Advisor

This is just a base Windows 2003 install. Not any R1/R2 version.
JMHouse
Occasional Advisor

I should probably note that these are unattended installations. So I am modifying our txtsetup.oem file to include these drivers.

I did notice that there are G6 sata/raid drivers within the SmartStart CD that aren't available for download anywhere. Those drivers didn't help me at all, but I found that interesting.
JMHouse
Occasional Advisor

Here's an update. Found that using an SP1 image works while an RTM image doesn't. Shouldn't these drivers work on RTM as well as SP1/2?
JMHouse
Occasional Advisor

Finally got in contact with someone on the phone at HP that confirmed that the drivers for G6 hardware require a Windows 2003 image with SP1 or higher. A base RTM image will not work on G6 hardware.
Jonathan Solis
Advisor

mmr_na-0249343
Issue
Possible Behavior:
1- Customer starts the installation and when it reboots the server after copying files that are necessary to continue is when the issue may happen.
2- Right after it rebooted it starts the devices installation process, around ├в minutes 35 left├в to complete the process a blue screen may appear.
3- If the server gets the blue screen at this point (during installing devices process) the issue can be fixed doing this.
Solution
Workaround
1- Please reboot the machine and get into the BIOS
2- Go to System Options
3- Processor Options
4- Intel Hyper threading, you have to Disable this option
5- Go back to processor options and choose Core Disabling then choose One core
6- Please save the changes and reboot the server and continue with the installation as normal, this should do it

The explanation over the internet is that this machine works with Multi-core processing and the Windows versions that don├в t come with R2 don├в t support this feature, that├в s the reason we need to disable these options from BIOS.

Once we have the OS installed we need to apply the service pack to the machine in order to enable the previous features we had to disable to continue with the installation, the reason is that now, the server has the SP2 installed and the OS will be able to deal with the multi-core processing.

Please keep in mind if the behavior is different, I mean, the server is not giving you blue screens or is not failing at the installation point I mentioned, this work-around may not work.

Also remember that this is a work around process the customer should be made aware that the system is supported only on R2
├В┬й Copyright 2009 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P.