4990 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 Array Errors

dl380_2

DL380 Array Errors

Hi everyone,

First post, so go easy on me :)

I purchased a used DL380 about 6 months ago. It has been functioning as (the only) domain controller in my small network. The server is running Windows 2003 Server Standard R2 with the latest Service Pack.

It has 6 x 73GB drives, which I configured as 3 separate arrays using RAID 1 on each, which was perfect for my requirements.

Everything has been working great until about two days ago. I started noticing some network slowness. When I went to check on the server I noticed an orange light on one of the drives. The array diagnostics told me that the drive had failed.

When I went to check on the server again today 4 out of the other remaining 5 drives had orange lights !

I pulled the drives, re-inserted them and rebooted the server, selecting the option to repair data. These drives now seem to be functioning, although I get an lsass error stating that Active Directory could not be started due to insufficient disk space. I restarted in DS Repair mode (Safe Mode) and the event log gives me errors that lead me to believe AD is trashed.

My question is: Is this really a case of all the drives failing (though they work when they are removed and re-inserted) or could this be a case of the RAID controller itself starting to fail ?

Many thanks in advance.

ML
6 REPLIES 6
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 Array Errors

hi,

it could be the RAID controller, that make this problems.

Did you try to start smartstart cd and make the diagnostic ???

mikap
dl380_2

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. No, I have not tried that yet. I have used the Windows based Array diagnostic but that does not tell me about the overall health of the array controller.

I will give that a try.

Just a little more info that makes me think it's the array controller. Yesterday evening, when I checked on the server, I saw some more orange lights on the drives. This time they were different drives than the day before. When I pull them and re-insert them they come back as green and data rebuilding begins.

Is the array controller actually on the motherboard on these boxes, or does it live on the backplane ? I'm not familiar with the design of this thing (I mostly deal with Dell's and newer HP's) and I don't have access to a manual.

I'm figuring that as Windows is trashed anyway I may as well invest some extra time and resolve the hardware issues. I can get replacement parts fairly cheaply on e-bay and I'm not afraid to start pulling boards. I just need to know where the controller lives so I know which parts to pull.

Best regards,

ML.
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

thats possible to identify where the raid controller is p;aced, but you should definane wich generation of DL 380 servre do you own.

for example DL380 G5

mikap
dl380_2

Hi Michael,

My apologies. It's a G3.

I was able to locate the service manual on the HP site and it looks like it's on the system board. Looks like a pretty easy pull, except for having to re-enter the server Serial # once the new board is in place.

Best regards,
ML
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

hi,

check this link :

https://forums13.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?admit=109447627+1254381365013+28353475&threadId=1121655

you should be able to change the serial number on the Mother board.

mikap
dl380_2

Beautiful ! Thanks so much Michael.