ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 - CPU Fails - Desperate Help needed.

Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

DL380 - CPU Fails - Desperate Help needed.

We went to move a DL380 from one rack to another. We powered down the unit. In the process of moving I opened the case to see the CPU model number. Placed the CPU firmly back in to slot 1. When we booted the server it says CPU 2 initialized, then CPU 1 has failed. The following is what we did:
1.) Replaced CPU with new
2.) Replaced VRM with new
3.) Swaped slots 1 & 2s CPUs.
4.) Swaped slots 1 & 2s VRMS.
4.) Then Swapped VRMs again.
5.) Booted another server with the 3 different VRMs, all work fine.
6.) Tried about every combination possible, but server just wants to fail whatever CPU is in slot 1.
7.) Etc. etc. etc.

Server boots using slot 2's CPU. What the #$&* happened with slot 1's CPU? I did make sure to not produce any static discharge, regardless as we have 3 different CPUs and VRMs that boot, just not in a pair. ANY help on this would be highly appriciated as we are desperate to get this unit back on line fully
3 REPLIES
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 - CPU Fails - Desperate Help needed.

Hi Sean,

When a CPU fails it is considered to be a criticl error. The Integrated Management Log within the system board won't register any changes until you have told it that the CPU has been fixed. Occaisonaly this happens when the CPU has been removed and seated incorrectly.

Typical errors of this sort are 212-System Processor Failed.

How to fix it: -

If this is a G1 DL380 you should have an F10 partition so press F10 when the system POSTS and the cursor flashes at the top right side of the screen. If not, boot from a Smartstart CD (V5.50 or below).

When a CPU has failed you normally get a warning screen when you go into the diagnostics anyway. This will prompt you to correct the CPU error and let the system know that it has been fixed.

Save and exit from the utility and all should be OK.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, I was afraid I might have to do a system erase. It is more the possibility that the first time it was re-booted the CPU was NOT seated properly. But what I could not figure out was if that was the case, why when we tried all these combinations did it still give the error - I was afraid I damaged the mainboard. And of course each time we pulled a CPU I made extra sure to seat it in firmly.

Thank you very much for the info, this helps a lot.
Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

Just an update. I did as you suggestion and everything is back to normal and only had to take the server down for less than 5 minutes. Thank you very much! I really appriciate your help on this.