2564 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 Capacity Issue

PaulD_1
Advisor

DL380 Capacity Issue

Hi

New to HP servers with limited Raid knowledge.

We have a DL380 G3 with the following:

C:\ = Disk0 and Disk1 - 36.4Gb (Raid1)
D:\ = Disk1/2/3/4 - 146.8 (Raid5)

Our D:\drive is getting low on disk space and I would like to utilise the hot spare (Disk5). I presume that that you cannot add another disk to the existing RAID5 setup dynamically? But itтАЩs really a case of what options I have available to me. Similarly there doesnтАЩt appear to be any tools on the server to view the RAID setup so I presume that this is only available at start-up via F8

If anybody has experienced a similar situation or can provide any input it would be much appreciated.
9 REPLIES 9
RGA
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL380 Capacity Issue

Paul,

As I see it, you have:

c:\ SCSI ID 0 and 1 (Raid 1)
d:\ SCSI IDs 2, 3, 4
and have SCSI ID 5 as an On-line Spare (OLS)

If so, use the ACU (Array Configuration Utility) http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/22911.html

In this utility you would select the Spares Management and un-check the HDD that you are using as a OLS. Then you could add that HDD to the appropriate ARRAY and then Expand and Extend the Logical drive, this would give you more space but you would loose the OLS.

Regards,
PaulD_1
Advisor

Many thanks User1!

Yes d:\ is made up of d:\ SCSI IDs 2, 3, 4 (Raid5).

This looks exactly what I'm after -thanks. From what you have described this could be added dynamically without breaking the existing config. Obviously loosing the spare would mean we dont have an instant replacment if one disk went down - could we just purchase another disk as precaution and swap it out with a failed disk or doesnt it work that way?

Cheers

Dave_180
Valued Contributor

Yes - you could eliminate the spare drive and have another on the shelf as a replacement. When a drive fails - just pop the other drive in and call HP for a replacement.
Jaime Bolanos Rojas.
Honored Contributor

Paul, you could also use the Smart start CD that came with your server, boot from it and you will get the ACU from there, and then just follow the steps given to you before.
Work hard when the need comes out.
PaulD_1
Advisor

Cheers - I shall look at these options.

Many Thanks.
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

With this solution you extend only LUN on SmartArray, Windows will not extend its partition. It simple show free space on phisical drive. You may try use other tools after expanding LUN, such as Acronis or create new partiton and mount it to clean folder on disk D
PaulD_1
Advisor

Rusian

So what you are saying is that if I used the HP tool to utilise the hot spare and add it to the array this wouldnt automatically extended the Windows logical drive size (and therfore create more space).

Cheers

Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Paul once you use ACU to extend a volume you can then use diskpart from MS and extend the logical drive. *Note, the new free space must be directly behind the logical drive you wish to extend.