1753500 Members
4745 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Disk Activity Lights

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

DL380 Disk Activity Lights

I bought 3 DL380s on Ebay, the first two function normally, when the Smart 5 controller initializes the drives green disk lights come on. The third server the disk drive lights do not come on when the controller initializes or while the system is running. I ran diagnostics and it said everything was okay. I took the disks from one of the other two DL380s and put them into the one having the problem to ensure it wasn't something with any of the drives or sleds. The drives that had lights in the other server now have no lights and the lights that had not been on now appear in the server that displays lights.

Is there some jumper setting on the system board that might be causing disk activity / status to be turned off?
9 REPLIES 9
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

let double check all the severs are Dl380 G3..? using all of them 5i controller?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

something else have you install an OS in the server which has no LEDs? I mean those servers have OS installed?

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

the previous message was because to verify in the controller is OK, but first try taking the data (SCSI cables) from one of the other servers and test on the other with that behavior

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

sorry for posting posting and posting but hp forum does not have the utility to edit previous messages

also take the SCSI backplane for one of the other servers and test if the HDDs got lights

regards
TRS
Frequent Advisor

Dear,
Before swaping cleare nv ram

go throuth below steps
1)Mark ur all hdds(faulty server) 0 to...
2)Same stap 2nd server
3)Power off 2nd server to cleare nvram
4)Remove power cable then remove All hdds (if ur both servers array controllers are same)
5)Set Nvram switch
6)After clearing nvram Put hdds from 1st server to 2nd server(Remove only it is in offline)
7)Then insert power cable & ser bootcontroller order as 5i & save it
If Problem as it is then.....
Take blackplain from 1st serve & install in 2nd server.Then try once to boot.Chech by swaping All cbles also.
If it booting then 1st take data back-up then revert how u want.

Regards,
TRS

John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

This is a DL380 G2 I believe.
I tried clearing NV RAM but the disk activity lights are still not working.

The machine is also turning itself on randomly. One day it turned on at midnight, yesterday it tuned itself on at 20:00. I had enabled WOL on Ethernet 0 but have since turned that off.

I have not heard from the seller. I need to have status and activity lights on this box in order to deploy it to my customer.

Any other suggestions?

Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Is it possible to take the SCSI backplane from one of the other servers to this one to test if it causes the problem?
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi John,

Compaq and HP hot-plug hard drives don't have leds on them. Instead they have fibre-optic pipes which take the light from the three leds located for each slot on the disk backplane and project the light to the front of each drive. Have a look at one of your disks and you will see the three light pipes going to the back of the drive. These sit directly opposite the leds for the disk slot.

It is entirely possible that the leds have been sheared off their positions on the SCSI backplane. You may even find the remains of the leds scattered inside the drive bays at the bottom if you remove the disks.

Remove the disks and shine a torch into each drive bay. Look for the leds which sit together on the backplane. Compare the bad system with a good one. It would be unusual for all slots to be broken but it is possible. If you need a backplane then the Compaq spare part number for the DL380 G2 is 228502-001.

http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/showphoto?partnumber=228502-001

I hope this helps.

Brian
John Rowan_2
Regular Advisor

As you thought the LEDs are missing for status and activity. The yellow failed LED is there and does flash on when the system is initially powered up. I see several for sale on Ebay. I have contacted the seller to see if he will make the auction whole.

Thanks for the solution. Happy Holidays.