HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 Disk Upgrade

Paul D
Occasional Contributor

DL380 Disk Upgrade

I have a DL380 G2 with SmartArray 5i controller and 3 x 18 Gb disks RAID 5.
To test my backup system I would like to restore my tape backups to a new set of 3 x 72 Gb disks. If I follow the SmartStart system build process I have to do a system erase before I build the new disks. My concern is that I will not be able to return back to my old disk array and system configuration. Any ideas?
4 REPLIES
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 Disk Upgrade

Hello Paul,

Before you restore the data to 3 x 72 Gb disks, ensure that the server is shutdown and the old 3 x 18 Gb disks are removed from the server offline. Than install the new set of harddisk and follow the SmartStart system build process.

In case if you need to boot back from the old set of disk. Shutdown the server and remove the new set off disks and reinstall the old disk set and restart the server and you will get the message whether to load the RIS information from the Harddisk to Array controller or from Array controller to Harddisk. Check the option properly it will F1, F2 option select the option to update the RIS infromation from the harddisk to Array controller and it will rebuild the Array controller RIS and boot to old set of harddisk and it will work fine.
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

You can replace online one 18GB with new 72GB, wait for rebuild completed. The same procedure for second and third 18GB disks. After that use ACU and extend logical drive capacity. Last step - create new partition and format new file system within your OS. Consult with Compaq Smart Array 5i Plus User Guide http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00677894/c00677894.pdf
BR, Oleg.
Oleg Mochkin
Trusted Contributor

Sorry, my replay is not relevant to your question.
Oleg.
Paul D
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your answers. I had learned about the in-place drive upgrade on this forum but decided against it since I wanted to test the restoration of the system in case of a disaster (lost complete system to fire or flood).