ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380: Downtime When Adding New Disc to Array?

SOLVED
Go to solution
david vaughan_4
Occasional Advisor

DL380: Downtime When Adding New Disc to Array?

Hi. We have a DL380 G4 running VMWare ESX 3.0 utilizing three 300GB SCSI disks in a RAID 5 array and need to add an identical 300GB drive. I plan to extend this array by using the ACU. My question is once I add the new disk and it starts incorporating to the array does the server remain offline? Do we need to do this over the weekend when the users are away or can they access the data while the array is being reallocated across the disks?

Thank you.
17 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380: Downtime When Adding New Disc to Array?

hi David

I think you know the procedure to add the new HDD right... that's fine just to be sure
so your question is regarding server utilization right?

no problem you can do this while people is accessing the server

there are 2 important thing to take of
rebuild priority and expand priority which are going to be used during your process

so this is the situation if you know that your server has a heavy workload set those in low if not leave it by default (medium)
(also dont worry you can change this at anytime, I mean if you start tomorrow that process and nobody is going to use the server at night you can set to high--- but dont forget change it next day)

the procedure you're going to do is online
Hp knows how important is the business today so that procedure is online like for example replacing a hot plug HDD

so
"Do we need to do this over the weekend when the users are away or can they access the data while the array is being reallocated across the disks?"

can they access the data while the array is being reallocated across the disks

yes you can

regards

I hope this can help
anything else just let me know

Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
david vaughan_4
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Karlo. I've been a little frustrated b/c I called HP twice yesterday and recevied two completely different answers. The first tech pretty much said what you said and he also suggested I install the battery backed cache to speed along the process. He explained the priorty levels. The second person said pretty much the opposite, that the server would have to be offline and we should do it over the weekend while no one is trying to access the server. He also said the battery backed cache wouldn't really help that much. Which is why I posted this to get some additonal feedback.

KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi
like I told you it is a online process (while people access the server) also I forgot HP always recommends to have the latest firmware (for all HDDs - Controllers, for tasks like: adding HDDs, expand and extend, rebuilding,) and also a good good backup

check this
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1164066

well BBWC (yes can increase the process speed) and also some Smart array controllers need this(BBWC) to have the array expansion as an option like P400 controller(I dont know your controller).
and also why BBWC is recommended for this process because BBWC can store the data for about 72 hours(imagine an power outage) so in this way avoiding data corruption (yes the data to the new HDD being added)

Array expasion: is the process to add 1 or more HDDs to an existing RAID or replace the existing HDDs(36GB for 146GB for instance)

I'm going to add a document that states this process can be do it online (imaging in a exchange server mmm cool), page 11.
yes you can read online not rebooting the server inserting smartstart no no. Online.

like I told you there is performance impact of course but can be done online using ACU you know...

regards

I hope this can help
let me know anything else
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

also I forgot

in the PDF is a Smart Array 6402

but all hp smart array controller support array expansion

maybe your server has 6i or p600
but both support these:
Availability
* Online RAID Level Migration (between any RAID level)
* Online Capacity Expansion
* Logical Drive Capacity Extension

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12030_div/12030_div.HTML

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12247_na/12247_na.html
regards
david vaughan_4
Occasional Advisor

Yes we have a 6i controller. I just ordered the battery backed cache controller and will install this first:

346914-B21 128MB BBWC ENABLER FOR SMART ARRAY 6I DL360 DL380 G4

I was having a hard time believing this couldn't be done online. Especially when they said it could take up to 20 minutes/GB. With a new 300GB drive that's like 4 DAYS of downtime!! No way.

Offhand do you know of a good thread on this forum that explains how to use the ACU to expand the array? I'm sure I can figure it out but it's always nice to have a resource.

Thanks again, you've been extremely helpful.
Resolution Gauranteed
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

check this link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=468780

Here you would find the user guide,white papers about ACU..

Hope this would help.

All d best
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience.
Resolution Gauranteed
Frequent Advisor

Hi David,

check this link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual〈=en&cc=us&docIndexId=179111&taskId=101&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=468780

Here you would find the user guide,white papers about ACU..and you may download any user guide,just add 2-3 hdd's on a test server and practice,theres nothing much simple terms like create array,expand array,create logical drive,expand logical drive and many more however simple..

Hope this would help.

All d best
Never become so much of an expert that you stop gaining expertise. View life as a continuous learning experience.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yesssssss

you're right

imagine my exchange server offline for 45 - 50 hours (yes 10 - 20 minutes per GB) no way the boss, users yelling at me that's why smart array controller let us do it online and people happy

of course ACU manual yes it is a easy process, also the process is in the previous PDF on page 4 (which I like too much is very explanatory - with pics)
basically it is a expand and extend process...

but the ACU manual here also
page 24

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00294139/c00294139.pdf

regards
and anything else let us know

it this was helpful don't forget assign some points
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

here is the PDF in case you did not see it before

sometimes is difficult understand this forum (on my on experience)

http://urlao.com/onlineexpan

page 4 (for process) and 11 for online process

regards
david vaughan_4
Occasional Advisor

Thank again. I'm a newbie on this board so hopefully I assigned points in a way that makes sense.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

ok ok

I can see neither of my answer was completely great (a 10 or 9) lol

OK that means I need to more improvement a little more every day

regards
david vaughan_4
Occasional Advisor

Actually I thought your answers were great! I'm just not familiar on how I should assign points (especially when I'm giving points for several of you replies). Maybe I should have looked up on the forum how to assign them? I would be happy to go back and award 10 pts to a couple of your replies, can I?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

oh

I was a little sad jejej

well no the only you can do is assign points the ones do not have points but reassign no (thats bad )

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

jejeje

yes 10 means great

1 means answer was not good

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#28

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

just one more thing

David at the end of the process you're going to do

please let us know how long it took and any other information that you consider important

regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

by the way David the link about expand / extend process was bad

I upload it to my google page

http://karlochacon.googlepages.com/Expandandextandprocesspage4.pdf

now go for it

regards
david vaughan_4
Occasional Advisor

Perfect! Thanks. I'll be sure to submit any useful observations I had during this process.