108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Drive Cage

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

DL380 Drive Cage

I am looking to put a Drive cage Compaq part number 157007-B21 which gives me 2 extra slots for Hard Drives, this is on a DL380 G1 (733)

I was told I would need to have a SCSI cable and a SCSI ID connector??

I know what the SCSI cable is, I see the cable in my server, but was wondering about the SCSI ID Connector?? What is this and is there a Compaq part number for this?

Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor
Solution

This drive cage turns the original cage into a "virtual" six drive, drive cage. Duplex operation is not supported with this cage.

This cage allows the scsi ids to be seen correctly across the cages. It's described as the communications cable. It's part of the misc cable kit 327920-001.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

What do you mean that Duplex operation i not supported??

Also thansk for the part number!
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

This cage, when installed correctly, is meant to be seen as one single drive cage. There will only be one cable coming from the controller for all six drives.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Terry, where is the best place to find installation instructions for this cage? I search the HP/Compaq website for the above part number and find nothing??

Thanks
Rick_119
Frequent Advisor

I forgot to add, if I look at this link correctly for the DL380

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/ProLiantdl380/cableguide.html#controller

It appears I need no additional cables, there is a cable that is on SCSI port 2 that goes to the main drive bay with 4 drives, there is another cable that is on SCSI port 1 that is connected to nothing and it has a SCSI termination hanging on it's end, if I read the above link correvtely I just connect the spare cable to the new 2x1 drive??

ah wait aminute after looking at the link closely I see that I must connect the port 2 SCSI to the new 2x1 drive then on the top of the 2x1 drive cage connect the shorter SCSI cable to the 4x1 drive bay.

So since I got my drive cage used does the kit you mention have that shrter cable??

Thanks

Rick