1752815 Members
5805 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 Fan Noise

Mario Rimann

DL380 Fan Noise

We've got our first DL380. Everythin works fine - but theres one problem: All Fans are on full-power, all the time. This causes noise!

How to stop this noise? Or at least bring it from "extreme loud" to "loud"?

We tried installing the newest Management Driver - did'nt change anything. Is it right, that the fan speed is set by driver?
14 REPLIES 14
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Mario,
Please make sure that the bios is uptodate. You can to F9 and set the fan speed there.

Regards,
Mario Rimann

Thanks for your answer!

BIOS is up-to-date (downloaded and installed today).

Where exactly after pressing F9 can I find this option. I couldn't find it yet...
Olivier Drouin
Trusted Contributor

@ boot time
Stuart Browne
Honored Contributor

What OS have you installed on the DL?

I know on the ML's, it's a job for the mangement and monitoring tools to dune the fan speed..
One long-haired git at your service...
Renne Cavanaugh_1
Occasional Contributor

Did you try to install the latest version of Compaq's Advanced System Management? It works for the ML370s - calms that fan right down!

Renne
Mario Rimann

Thanks for all responses to my question!

Olivier: I thought that it's at boot time. At the moment where I'm getting asked if I want to enter System Menu, did you mean this? If yes: I can enter the menu - but I'm not able to find the option to control the fans.

Stuart: I tried installing Windows 2003 Server, Standard. I read about this software-controlled fans. But as of customer note (CN0354W) the DL380 G3 should also have hardware controlled fans. The control ist then overtaken by the driver if loaded.

Renne: I tried this. But I'll begin again by re-installing Windows 2003 Server. Then I'll try to install the drivers again.
gabriel Craciun

Hello!
I have also dl380 g3 with the same problem.
I have on it RedHat 9 and i also installed
hpasm-7.0.0-22.rhel3.i386.rpm.
Hpasm starts ok and when i do a "cat /proc/cpqfan" i see that the speed is low.
However, speaking of noise i cannot say the differnce between now and before, because meantime i moved dl380 to the equipment room and there are a lot of noise in there.:-D
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Nothing much to add
Just want to confirm do you have Support pack 7.0 installed on server.

If no then do it

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Mario Rimann

Hi,

I downloaded the "Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003", v7.00 A

I re-installed Windows 2003 Server and first installed this support Pack. But nothing changed. The noise is still the same (also after a reboot).

I can't hear any change in the sound of the machine. When i start it up, it starts doing noise. And this noise never changes! Only if i switch the machine off. But when it's running, its always the same noise!!! There are no differences in the sound (faster or slower fan-speed)...

Regards,
Mario