Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 Fan Noise

Hi,

As per the trailing mail i have folowing inputs :
There are diff Zone in server
Zone 1 CPU area.
Zone 2 power supply area.

Have we checked by opening the server which zone we are facing the more problem. Any erros reported in IML for FAN ( I Guess it would not be there )

What is the processor speed:
Because there are diff part of fan for same
CPU fan 92 mm, 74 CFM 159203-001
CPU fan 92 mm, 110 CFM (1GHz) 216472-001

Confirm the part nos as which fan making more noise.

Reagrds,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

As per the trailing mail i have folowing inputs :
There are diff Zone in server
Zone 1 CPU area.
Zone 2 power supply area.

Have we checked by opening the server which zone we are facing the more problem. Any erros reported in IML for FAN ( I Guess it would not be there )

What is the processor speed:
Because there are diff part of fan for same
CPU fan 92 mm, 74 CFM 159203-001
CPU fan 92 mm, 110 CFM (1GHz) 216472-001

Confirm the part nos as which fan making more noise. Because Each fan has two outputs; a Presence and Fault signal line that are monitored by the Advanced System Management sub-system. So we need to work in specification to work with this one

Reagrds,
Prashant S.

Nothing is impossible
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

The DL380G3 uses a high speed fan design which is much louder than the previous G2 models. Per customer notice CN0354W these fans are running at the lowest setting when they are started.

http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=CN0354W.xml&dt=9

You should notice when you first apply power the fans go high for a very quick moment then shift down to the 'normal' speed. Yes they are much louder than the G2's but this is by design

Hope this helps
Mario Rimann

Hi all!

Thanks for all the help!

Last week I called the HP Support. I was told, this noise is "normal". There is Fan-Control planned for a later BIOS-Release. But at the moment, there is no possibility to hardware-control the fans.

Also there is no option in the RBSU regarding the Fans. I heard about setting it there - but no one could tell me exactly on wich point in the menu it is.

Regards
Mario
Brent_34
Frequent Advisor

The BIOS setting may be how HP is going to allow you to adjust the speed in the future. I don't see them being able to modify the 380G3 like they did with the 360G3 Pigtails.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EL030207_CW01