1748003 Members
4933 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 Format Failure with 5I+ raid controller, Win 2003

Tom Diroff

DL380 Format Failure with 5I+ raid controller, Win 2003

Hi

This DL380 is a G3 (per the bios) Bios rev 29 (9/15/2004)
It has 4.5gb ram and 6 150 gb hard drives in a raid 5 configuration.
The system firmware was updated with the cd and allegedly all up to date.

It did have an OS (Linux) on it and was in production until it had a raid array controller failure which was swapped out. and we are now trying to get it back into production status.

When installing Red Hat Linux, Enterprise 3 release 3 it will hang on installation of one of the RPMS's.

When installing Windows server 2003 standard edition it will try to format the partition but quickly shows a 100% format and terminates with the error message " Setup was unable to format the partition: the disk may be damaged". The same error will occur if I use the latest 5i driver or whether I use the Windows 2003 built in driver.

When I use Smart Start 7.20 or 6.4 the installation goes until after the 2003 files are copied and then a reboot is attempted then the error message "PCI bus parity error PCI slot 00" is displayed.

Complete system wide diagnostics (from smartstart) were run in a loop and all passed. The ADU diagnostic shows no errors per HP support.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you
1 REPLY 1
Tom Diroff

Re: DL380 Format Failure with 5I+ raid controller, Win 2003

Hi

It appears that the problem was some sort of corrupted array configuration or funky state that the controller was in. I had to use the clear utility several times and keep rebooting and after many failures it suddenly started to work. Since then I ahve loaded and reloaded Windows several times with several deifferent methods and all is fine.