New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G1 CPU change

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dan Moore_3
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G1 CPU change

Greetings,

I'm attempting to replace an 866mhz CPU in a DL380 G1 with an 800mhz (one with 133mhz FSB). The machine powers on just fine, it shows that the CPU has been initialized, the normal builtin RAID messages show, but right when the "press F8 or ESC" message from the smart array would normally disappear and the RILOE-II "press F8" message would appear, the machine powers off. After a minute or so, it powers back on.

The machine has been working fine with the RILOE-II for a day now, and the machine as a whole has been on for almost a year. The 800mhz CPU I want to put in this machine works fine too in the machine it was removed from.

When I put the 866mhz CPU back in, the machine is back to normal. Both the system BIOS and RILOE-II are running their most current firmware.

I also have a 933 G1 DL380, and I notice that the mysterious CPU switch settings are quite different. Is there a chart somewhere (not in the manual or on the website that I can find) which will tell me what settings to use for an 800mhz CPU? Is there some other problem?

I will now try this setup without the RILOE-II board to see what happens, but even if it does work, that's not a permanent solution...

Thanks for your time.

Dan Moore
dan@moore.cx
8 REPLIES 8
Dan Moore_3
Occasional Advisor

Despite it being the most likely cause, I was still surprised when the system booted fine with the 800mhz CPU and no RILOE-II. After one successful boot, I put the RILOE-II back in and the system booted fine once again.

So the lesson is apparently to remove the RILOE-II when changing CPU configuration.

However, when I switched back to the 866 CPU as a test, I didn't have to remove/reinsert the RILOE-II. Very odd. So maybe only when *downgrading* the CPU is this necessary.

In any case, consider me befuddled.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello Dan,
Here are the Switch settings for you server:

Regards,
Dan Moore_3
Occasional Advisor

Thank you very much, Mr. Jerath!

That seems to have helped the stability in single-CPU configurations, but now I have another problem.

I actually have two of these 800mhz/133FSB CPUs. They are identical stepping. Both work fine as the only CPU in the system in Slot 1. However, when both CPUs are in, the processor in Slot 2 works but the one in Slot 1 shows as "failed". So I've tried both CPUs in both slots, and even swapped the VRMs with no change in functionality.

In addition, I have also tried these same CPUs and VRMs in a second DL380 (identical to the first, except that it was originally a single 933). Everything happened the same way.

This is pretty close to the strangest behaviour I've ever seen in hardware.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
How about the system BIOS?? Is it uptodate?? If not then here is the link:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/17374.html

Please let me know how you make out. Just flash the bios with one CPU. Once it's done I would like to know how it worked.

Regards,

Dan Moore_3
Occasional Advisor

Greetings Mr. Jerath,

They're both running P17.

I'll also mention that when this is going on, neither has the RILOE-II board.

Anything else to try? ;)
Dan Moore_3
Occasional Advisor

Oops. I'm not sure that "P17" actually means what I thought it did. In any case, actually, one of them is running "2002.12.18" and the other "2002.07.04 B" (I think).
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
Please email me your contact info and I shall contact you as soon as I hear from you.
My email: sunil.jerath@hp.com

Regards,
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello Dan,
Also remember to run the System configuration utility every time a hardware change takes place in the server. I am posting the link to download the utility just in case someone else might need it:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/13227.html

Regards,