5016 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G1 and an IDE drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
Terry Summers_1

DL380 G1 and an IDE drive

Is it possible to use a standard IDE internal drive in a DL380 G1 for extra storage capicity.

The machine is one I remotely manage so I cannot verify that it has a bay for mounting it in. From what I can see by the documentation one of the "Removable Blank Media bays would do it. (Might need a mounting kit.)
And then from my thinking use the IDE connection for the CD-Rom for the IDE hard drive. My biggest issue is mounting it and making sure I have whats required before going on site.

Thanks in advance,
Terry
3 REPLIES 3
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor
Solution

Terry:

you can do it ; and the removable blanks have the place to put the drive in and secure it.
- you can still use the IDE cable for the cdrom.

- CDrom connects to a backplane or board.
- this drive cannot become bootable; but if you get an ide cable that can support two devices. you should be able to use an IDE hard drive with CDROM With no issues; make sure that the drive is set to CS or Cable select setting.

- this is not in any way supported by compaq or HP.

- another thing you can do is get a pci ATA ide controller or even SATA controller and connect two drives to it; you can fit two drives in the the two media bays; if you don't have a tape drive installed.

There is lots of options but it may and or may not work.

The only thing I know if you are using the emedded ata controller it will never be a bootable drive and in the Bios F10 you cannot make it 1st boot. For Data it will work fine.

Tarek.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.
Terry Summers_1

Thanks Tarek for your quick response.
Do you know what if any mounting kits i will require to order before I go onsite.
(Sorry but I do not kno the DL380 G1's very well)

Thanks again,
Terry
Tarek Kawach
Honored Contributor

the removable blanks have all the hardware you need.

the drive will fit in the removable blanks.
Hey, look a light at the end of the tunnel.