ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748053 Members
4722 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G2 Array Controller not seen during POST.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ralph M

DL380 G2 Array Controller not seen during POST.

I rebooted a DL380 G2. During POST I can see the following error. "Non system disk found". I also notice the on board 5i controller does not show up during POST. Which explains why the drives are not booting into the OS. I've tried updating Firmware, but it is already up to date also reseating PCI cage, power connectors to hard drive backplane, but no success. I've ran out of ideas. Can anyone assist? TIA
7 REPLIES 7
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Ralph,

The 5i controller on the DL380G2 is locked in position with 4 plastic lugs. It may have worked its way loose from the main system board and that's why it isn't being seen in POST. Remove the PCI riser cage and you will see the 5i controller daughtercard fixed to the main system board (See attached image)
Rotate the plastic lugs to remove the card then reseat it, making sure it is firmly in place before rotating the lugs again. If it's faulty you can use a PCI based controller of the same family or higher in it's place of it(Smart Array 5300, 641, 6402 etc). You then run the SCSI cable from the replacement controller to the SCSI In side of the disk backplane.

The original 5i controller (with no battery backup) was spare part number 228510-001 and it can be obtained on Ebay.

Note that you can remove this daughter card from the main system board without any issues if you decide to use an alternative PCI card to feed to the SCSI backplane but you must set the SCSI INTERLOCK DISABLE SWITCH to ON if you decide to remove it as you will get an "Interlock Error" at POST if you don't. (See attached image).

Let us know how you get on in any case.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Ralph,

The 5i controller on the DL380G2 is locked in position with 4 plastic lugs. It may have worked its way loose from the main system board and that's why it isn't being seen in POST. Remove the PCI riser cage and you will see the 5i controller daughtercard fixed to the main system board (See attached image)
Rotate the plastic lugs to remove the card then reseat it, making sure it is firmly in place before rotating the lugs again. If it's faulty you can use a PCI based controller of the same family or higher in it's place of it(Smart Array 5300, 641, 6402 etc). You then run the SCSI cable from the replacement controller to the SCSI In side of the disk backplane.

The original 5i controller (with no battery backup) was spare part number 228510-001 and it can be obtained on Ebay.

Note that you can remove this daughter card from the main system board without any issues if you decide to use an alternative PCI card to feed to the SCSI backplane but you must set the SCSI INTERLOCK DISABLE SWITCH to ON if you decide to remove it as you will get an "Interlock Error" at POST if you don't. (See attached image).

Let us know how you get on in any case.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Ralph M

Thanks for your reply. I tried what you recommended with no success. The daughter card is definitely bad. I did put in a 3200 controller which worked fine. I was able to get the server up to the windows splash screen but then it Blue screened with inaccessible boot device.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ralph,

The BSOD is expected since the 3200 uses a different driver. Ideally you would need the original 5i installed and then add the 3200 so that Windows will auto-detect it and load the driver. You then change the cables over and boot from the 3200.

The blue screen can be overcome by some other means so let me have a look and I'll get back to you. I'm not sure if you would be able to get into safe mode but you could try. Don't erase anything just yet as there will be a solution. Maybe someone else can contribute a solution.

Regards,

Brian
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Ralph,

Go for a replacement 5i - They can be reasonably cheap from Ebay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=228510-001+&category0=

Regards,

Brian
Ralph M

Thanks for your help.
Ralph M

I've installed a new controller. Now I can see the 5i controller appear during boot. I've also updated the firmware and put the 5i contoller as the 1st boot controller. However I am still getting "non system disk found". It's not booting into the OS.