ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752590 Members
3188 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G2 Power Supply 1615 Error - False?

SOLVED
Go to solution
LaneB
Frequent Advisor

DL380 G2 Power Supply 1615 Error - False?

Fellow techies,

This is getting truly annoying. One of my DL380 G2's has been getting consistent "1615-Power supply" errors during POST.

Here's the quirky part: NEITHER of the power supplies appears to be bad. I've done two things to verify this.

(1) Put a brand-new supply into the slot-2 position. The problem vanished for a month or so, and then reappeared.

(2) Swapped the two supplies around (slot 1 to slot 2 and vice-versa). Here's the kicker on that one -- The problem STAYED ON SLOT 2, and there has been NO error reported on slot 1, ever.

This is making me think that it's either the power supply backplane, or perhaps even the system board, causing a false failure indication.

Thoughts on how I could correct this would be most welcome. It's getting really tiring having to manually 'F1' the server at startup to get it to finish booting.

Thanks much.

Got Qwoob?
4 REPLIES 4
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G2 Power Supply 1615 Error - False?

hi LaneB

why don't you replace your power backplane seeing that issue stays in the same slot it looks for me faulty power backplane.

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
LaneB
Frequent Advisor

Thanks... I do, in fact, have a replacement power backplane enroute, as that was my first suspect.

Do you happen to know what, specifically, fails on them? Since the problem also disappeared (briefly) when I swapped position on the supplies, it makes me think there's an intermittent contact on the slot 2 edge connector.

I will report back once I get the new part in place.

Keep the peace(es).
Got Qwoob?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi

since you say this
"Here's the quirky part: NEITHER of the power supplies appears to be bad. I've done two things to verify this."

why if you disable the F1 during POST.
go to RBSU -> Server Availability -> POST F1 Prompt - disable

or

1. Clear NVRAM:
go to RBSU -> -> Advanced Options Menu ->Restore Default System Settings

2. flash / reflash in case you have the latest system rom
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?swItem=MTX-UNITY-I20867тМй=en&cc=us&mode=3&

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
LaneB
Frequent Advisor

UPDATE: Just to let others know... Yes, failure of the power converter/power backplane module can cause this issue. I put a replacement in about a week and change ago, and the problem has not resurfaced since.

I suspect it may be due to a solder joint failure on the power supply module connectors, but I've not done a detailed inspection of the bad one as yet.

Thanks to all who replied.

Got Qwoob?