ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752550 Members
4964 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G2 RAID5 - Two Disk failure

Christopher Jones_6

DL380 G2 RAID5 - Two Disk failure

Have a DL380 with RAID 5 and four 36GB H/D's which today suffered two hard disk failures, these being the first two units.
Is it possible to rebuild this and save data - or have I lost the data and have to rebuild.
One of the guys was saying that if I replace only one of the drives it may rebuild - does thid depend whether one of the drives that failed was setup as a spare hot swap?
Any info appreciated
7 REPLIES 7
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Try to pull out one and power up server, if no go, try same with second drive ├в one rule test in the same bay where they been before failure, does POST test message see them as failed
Mihai Lupu_3
Advisor

Regarding data, unfortunately it is very simple: with two simultaneous crashes in one RAID5 array, the data is forever damaged. You're lucky only if you have a hotspare and the second drive damage arrive after the first drive, which was replaced by hotspare AND the rebuild of the array was finished. In that case you should have only one drive at time, which is supported by RAID5 level.
In your case seems to be the worst combination; the RAID5 array should work without one drive and rebuild when a drive would be ready, so your server should start OK, even that you get the drive failure message.
You can try with pulling one by one the damaged drives and hoping that was a glitch into smartarray and one drive is healthy but declared dead by mistake.

Mihai
e4services
Honored Contributor

I Agree. I would try removing and reinserting the drives to see if the controller will accept them again. Otherwise a 2 drive failure in a 4 drive array will lose the data.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Christopher

Bad luck !!! If your environment is very critical, you can define two hot spare drives.

Regards
Mahesh
Christopher Jones_6

Thnx for your replies - I'll guess I will find out tomorrow morning.

Chris
Robin_37
Trusted Contributor

I suggest you to upgrade Rompaq and option rompaq for smart array and hdd of your server.

Regards

Robin
jrlookman
Occasional Contributor

by disk failure of two hard disk at the same time. probably you will lost your data. unless if you have backup of it. you can restore it back