1753304 Members
6248 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G2 Raid Reconfiguration

Daniel Cox
Occasional Contributor

DL380 G2 Raid Reconfiguration

I have a DL380 a prevoius person configured with 1 9gig drive for the OS on array A in a raid 0. There are also 3 36.4gig drives in a raid 5 on array B.
I just want to give the 9 gig OS drive some redundancy by adding a mirror drive.
slot 0= 9.1gig OS raid 0
slot 1= 36.4gig in raid 5
slot 2= 36.4gig in raid 5
slot 3= 36.4gig in raid 5
Can I move the 36.4's to slots 2,3,4 and add a drive in slot 1?
and will this create a mirror?

Thanks in advance for any sugestions
3 REPLIES 3

No, I think if you change the slots, the raid controller must be reconfigured and then the controller start a formatting.

I suggest enter a new drive into slot 4 and the build a raid 1 with 1st device slot 0 and 2nd device slot 4
Thomas Olsen_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Daniel

As far as I know, all RAID information is stored on the disks themself so you should be able to move the disks around. That is at least true with DL380 G3/G4 servers. I think you can even move the disks to another server and still have the same configuration.

But to be 100% sure that things does not go completely wrong, I recommend you label all disks before moving them around.

/Thomas O
Sanjay  Nayak
Advisor

Hi Daniel,
I have seen the previous suggestions and as a matter of fact both are feasible , and should not cause any issue,however , to be on the safe side i would recommend you to add the new drive in slot 4 and then use the ACU to put the two drives in slot 0 and 1 in RAID 1 .It would be redundant to say that its good to use similar drives in RAID 1