ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748154 Members
3589 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G2 Smart Array 5i Adding Old Drive

Felix TS Lee

DL380 G2 Smart Array 5i Adding Old Drive

Was trying to add an old drive to the DL380 G2 server, I plugged in and the OS cannot recognize the drives because it was not configured in the Smart Array.

Then I pressed F8 during boot to invoke the ORCA. I saw the drive, but hesitated in fear that the "create new array" action will delete the existing data on disk, or will it? Can I simply create a raid-0 and new logical drive so that I can get back my data in the disk?
3 REPLIES 3
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

If you want to add the drive to the excisting array, you must use the ACU (Array configuratio Utility).
This is all on-line operations.

What do you want to achive?

Do your operating system support that?

Whatever you want to do, the Smart Array controller support it. The oS could be an issue.

You also should read the Smart Array technology brief.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo

Felix TS Lee

Thanks for the reply. What I was trying to do is to have the DL380 G2 recognize another UW SCSI drive (NTFS) I pulled out from another old compaq server and retrieve the data. However when I started up the DL380 (with only that NTFS drive only) with a Linux Rescue CD, the ntfs-3g driver did not seem to recognize the partition.

And then I realize that I should add a new drive in the SmartArray5i ORCA before the OS can see it, but was hesitated because I am not sure if the "create new logical drive" action will delete my content on disk.

Any idea?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

You are right. Create a new drive on the old disk will delete the data.

I will recommend that you read the Smart Array technology brief.

You need to understand how the smart array controller configuration works.

The configuration is stored on the disks.
Whenever a SA is startet, it scans the disks. If it find meta data on the RIS area, it pickup that configuration and uses it.
So if you got a failed Array controller. You simply replace the controller, and power up the server. It pickup the configuration, and it's up and running.

So if you got 2 identical servers.
Server 1 fail, but the Array is OK.
Then you can put the drives in server 2, Power it up, and it will work.
Remember, that then servers must be powered off, for this operation.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo