Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G2 - Smart Array 5i Not booting - Diagnostic can't find controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Moyles
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G2 - Smart Array 5i Not booting - Diagnostic can't find controller

We have a DL380 G2 that was working until a reboot last night.

It has three 36.4 SCSI Hard Disks in it.

There are no front panel warning lights (server or HD's).

After the reboot, the Smart Array 5I post message isn't coming up. When it boots, it goes through the Standard boot order list (cd, floppy, pxe), but doesn't booting off the array.

In the RMSU, under PCI devices, the controller is listed (Compaq Smart Array 5i Controller, IRQ:3). It's also listed as Controller 1 in the boot controller order.

Booting from the SmartStart (7.90) CD shows the 5i controller on the home page, but "0 MB" for Boot Controller Disk Size.

It also has a warning "There is no bootable drive configured on this system".

If I run the Array Controller Utility (7.85.18.0), it says "ACU did not detect any supported controllers in your system".

The array diagnostics utility (7.85.16.0) report shows nothing in the slot summary.

Running the insight diagnostics utility (7.9) shows the CD rom drive and floppy drive under storage, but nothing else.

Looking at the insight diagnostics logs, I don't see any messages under Error Log or integrated management.

I've attached the Insight Diagnostic survey to this message.

I booted off of the Firmware Update CD (8.00) to see if I could update the controllerâ s firmware. The firmware update listed "Smart Array 5i and SA-532" with an installed version: None, and an available version: 2.66. Under status it lists "No supported devices". It doesn't allow me to install the firmware update.

A couple of questions:

This is a pretty old G2. Do the versions of ACU ((7.85.18.0), ADU (7.85.16.0), and firmware update (8.00) that I'm using no longer detect/support the 5i controller?

If not, what's my next step here? Is the controller blown or am I missing something?

If the controller is blown, where can I purchase another, and are there any "gotcha's" I need to watch out for (board revision number must match system board, etc) ?

- John

2 REPLIES
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: DL380 G2 - Smart Array 5i Not booting - Diagnostic can't find controller

Hi John,

you can try to reseat the controller , turn off the server , unplug the power cable wait some time(30sec) and then power the server again.

>> Do the versions of ACU ((7.85.18.0), ADU (7.85.16.0), and firmware update (8.00) that I'm using no longer detect/support the 5i controller?

-YES

If the above try don't work, you can purchase one from a local reseller, I don't think there are revision problems or something like that.

the part you need is :
228510-001 Smart Array 5i Controller

Regards,
Pac
Parotte
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380 G2 - Smart Array 5i Not booting - Diagnostic can't find controller

I have the same problem. with 2 DL380 G2. The problem began when I have installed windows 2000 server on it.

If I wait enough (for exemple the DL380 is on all the night) and that I reboot in the morning, the Smart Array is ok.