4060 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G2 Smart Array 5i - stopped responding

SOLVED
Go to solution
mark boggs

DL380 G2 Smart Array 5i - stopped responding

HP/Cpq DL380 G2 (2x 1.4 cpu) (2x 1gb ram)(6x 34gb scsi) 5 disks in RAID-5 w/spare

I am certainly not an expert in these things. I had an opportunity to pick up a DL380 and use it for some non-critical purposes. Unfortunately, a hard disk went bad.

I shut down and replaced the disk and booted from Smart Start 7.4 CD. All started as expected with the Smart Array controller initializing and the server booting from the CD.

I setup to run diagnostics on all hardware. I set the test for 2 hours and remember everything was going well up to the 25% mark, which is the last I recall seeing.

I returned later in the day and the test appeared to have frozen at 47%. I could not exit the Smart Start utilities. I manually powered-down the machine.

Upon restart, the Smart Array 5i did not appear to initialize and after booting from the Smart Start CD, the utilities failed to detect any disks (0GB boot disk).

I am trying to figure out what part has mosty likely gone wrong.

Any thoughts, suggestions and/or questions to lead me down the right path is certainly appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G2 Smart Array 5i - stopped responding

Mark:

Try removing power totally from the Server for a few minutes, then power it back up (Totally remove the plugs from the sockets).

Also, you can try reseating the Array Controller. I believe it is on the underside of the System board, or perhaps it was under the I/O expansion card. I don't remember, but it is in there.

The 5i controllers seem to "go bad" after several years of use... "just like that", no warning. I have several that went bad on me, luckily.. the servers were under warranty still and I had them replaced.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
mark boggs

Thank you so much for chiming in with your suggestions, Steven.

As you suggested, I have unplugged the server for over an hour and then after restarting, there was no difference.

On thing I also wanted to clarify: If I remove the little 5i daughterboard and reassamble the server without it, should I expect the server to start? (fyi, you are right, the 5i card plugs into the motherboard, under the PCI riser/cage)
mark boggs

I composed the above message a few minutes ago, but it contained the results from yesterday evening.

Today, after being shut down for the entier night, as the server went through the boot-up process, I saw something familiar:

"Initializing Smart Array ..."

It stayed there for around five minutes with no further updates to the screen or progress on the initialization. I rebooted the server again and the array did not attempt to initialize.

This time, I got some of the information that seems confusing to me.

On the Smart Start startup CD, the Home screen lists "Compaq Corporation Smart Array 5i/532".

On the Deploy Server screen, listing PCI Information and clicking on the View All checkbox, reveals a listing under Device 2 of "Compaq Corporation Smart Array 5i/532".

Even though the Smart Array is listed in these two places (Home & Deploy), when I go into Maintain Server, both the Array Configuration and the Array Diagnostics fail to recognize a supported controller.

So, it seems pretty sure that the daughtercard is going or has gone bad, but before I get a replacement, I want to do everything rational to cover my bases on something else being the potential problem.

Thank you for your time!
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

That sounds like the characteristics of a card going bad.... at least through my experience.

Though hard to get a 5i replacemebt, you can simply use a 641, but you may have some trouble if you already have the OS loaded. if not, then I suggest finding a 641 for cheap and using it, or if you have warranty coverage (doubtful, but hey... ya never know).. get the card replaced.

" http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/WarrantyLookup.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=470490&prodTypeId=12169 "

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
mark boggs

Thank you again, Steven.

I have located a reputable eBay reseller that has several of the 5i cards available for less than $180 delivered price.

You mentioned a 641 replacement. I am going to google to see if I can track one down, is there any more to the part number than 641?

Best,
Mark
mark boggs

Ok, I see that a 641 is a 64-bit PCI-X SCSI card that would go into the PCI cage. Thus, this is not an exact replacement for the existing 5i, but it gets me out of the on-board/integrated controller game.

One thing still seems odd ... if I remove the 'bad' 5i card, I am unable to get the server to POST ... it simply doesn't boot. Is that expected/normal?
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Smart Array 641 Controller - 291966-B21

The only problem is that it take up an expansion slot. (not a replacement daughtercard.)

Steven

Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE