ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748156 Members
4189 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G2 Unable to boot from CD

fab138

DL380 G2 Unable to boot from CD

I'm attempting to install Ubuntu 6.10 on this server and the initial installation failed...got as far as creating the partitions...seemed to hang at 66%. Read on the Ubuntu forum that I should partition the drives manually and not with the wizard in their install pack. Either-way when I attempted to boot from the install CD a second time the system was not able to see the drive? I have tried many different CD's but have had no luck in being able to boot from the CD-ROM. I have searched for a couple of days to find out what the problem might be but have found no info. Anyone have any ideas of where I can start looking?
Thanks
Fred
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred,

You could try defaulting the BIOS configuration which should revert the CD to being the first boot path.

On the system board there is a switch labelled SW6 near to the CPUs. Turn position 6 on to invalidate the configuration...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob

fab138

Just to be sure, is it just this switch labelled SW6 that I need to turn on and nothing in the actual BIOS settings that need to be touched?

As well if this works do I leave the switch in this new "on" position? Or do I switch it back after?

just as an fyi currently the CD-ROM actualy shows up as the first boot item in the boot order.
fab138

Hi Rob
Ok I defaulted the BIOS as you mentioned with the SW6 switch. I set the switch to on. Powered up...it then got to the point of telling me "Maintenance switch detected in the on position. Power off the server and turn switch to off position". I did this and powered the server back on. It went through the same boot sequence as before

Attempting Boot From CD-ROM
Attempting Boot From Floppy Driver A
Attempting Boot From Hard Drive C
Attempting Boot From NIC

It stopped at the CD-ROM step and spun up the cd but still didn't boot.

I've tried both OEM OS cd's as well as ones that I've burnt so not sure what else to try? The above boot sequence was exactly what showed on the screen...does it seem strange that the CD-ROM isn't assigned a drive letter?

Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Fred
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred,

Try releasing the CD-ROM drive from the backplane and reseating it firmly. It may have worked loose. Press the drive eject button to the left of the unit to pop it out of the chassis. (See attached image).

This will let you check that the backplane connections on the rear of the drive are OK. Reseat it firmly back into position once you've checked it. If its any help a laptop CD-ROM drive should work OK too if it has the same connector at the back. (Just in case the drive is faulty).

Also while out of the chassis you could clean the lens carefully with a cotton-bud.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

It does sound as though your CD-ROM drive and/or your boot CDs are faulty.

I'm assuming you've already tested the CDs themselves in a different machine, to rule them out.

If Brian's suggestion to reseat the drive doesn't work, you're probably looking at needing a replacement.

The spares number should be 228508-001.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
fab138

Thanks guys.
Yep all the CD's I've tried I can boot off of on other computers. I'll try cleaning the lens and if that doesn't fix it I guess I'm out shopping for a replacement....hate to spend $150 bones on one though.

Thanks for all the help.
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor