Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G2 Windows 2000 Install problem

Joe Yong
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G2 Windows 2000 Install problem

Hi all,
Trying to rebuild my machines with Windows 2000 Advanced Server and I'm having problems midway through the process.

I downloaded the latest SMART 5i drivers from HP's site and did the F6, load additional drivers routine. That all worked fine. However, as it was trying to copy the W2K files to the installation folder, it stopped on CPQCISSM.SYS file indicating it cannot copy the file.

I have this file in the floppy disk (still in the drive) and the installer appears to search the floppy but it is still unable to load the file.

Any idea what's going on here? Weird thing is, when installing Windows 2003, everything went through smoothly and I didn't even need to use my floppy disk to get the driver. Apparently W2K3 already has the driver on disk. Unfortunately, Windows 2000 is quite a bit more complicated. Do the files need to be in a particular folder(s) in the floppy?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES
Henry Taylor_2
Occasional Visitor

Re: DL380 G2 Windows 2000 Install problem

What version of smart start are you using? Why don't you just do the assisted install from the smart start cd. I have found this to make the install much less painful. Except for all the damn wizards...
Joe Yong
Occasional Visitor

Unfortunately, I'm doing a PXE install. Will try to hunt for a Windows 2000 disk but I'm still keen to know why this is happening.

Thanks.
Arthur Chang
Frequent Advisor

Dear Joy
Your problem arose from Driver version,try another version will resolve your problem.
When you bought server,had smartstart cd,maybe version 5.1 or 5.3 ,you can create Drive disk from Smartstart CD,if you lost cd,you can download driver from HP website,but don't choose newest version.
Joe Yong
Occasional Visitor

Thanks but I already tried that. Didn't work.

What's weird is that the driver works fine initially and then setup tries to "re-copy" which is where it fails. After all, if it didn't at the first loading (F6-->specify additional driver), I would not even be able to see the drives.

Any clues?
Arthur Chang
Frequent Advisor

Dear Sir
The attached file is Array 5x driver,It's self-extract file,you can try it,and maybe you can use another Win2k CD or floppy disk.

Regards
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

I had the same problem with the latest driver that i downloaded from HP. Below are the instructions from CP003718.EXE readme.txt contents.

If you are installing the Compaq Smart Array 5x Controller Driver for the
first time during the Windows 2000 installation, follow these instructions:

1. If you have not already done so, copy all of the extracted Compaq Smart
Array 5x Controller Driver files to a disk which we will refer to as
the Driver Disk.

2. Start the Windows 2000 installation as directed by the Operating
System (OS) instructions.

3. When the screen appears with the message at the bottom of the screen
stating, "Press the F6 key if you need to install a third party SCSI
RAID driver", press the F6 key.

IMPORTANT: If you do not press F6 during the brief interval that this
statement is on the bottom of the screen, you must restart the
installation.

4. When Windows 2000 Setup displays the message "Setup could not
determine the type of one or more mass storage devices installed in
your system, or you have chosen to manually specify an adapter,"
press S to display a list of supported SCSI host adapters.

5. Press the S key to specify an additional device. The next screen asks
you to insert a diskette into the diskette drive.

6. Insert the Driver Disk you made when prompted to do so, and select
the controller you are installing to from the list.

7. Press Enter and continue the installation of Windows 2000.

Try restarting the server load without inserting the floppy disk until prompted. You will need to press the F6 key at the beginning. During the system load process, it tries to read A: for winnt.sif presence, and may try to read in any driver files that may be present. This interferes with the main TXTSETUP.SIF file that is present in I386 folder.

See how that works out.