ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748213 Members
3041 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G2 - cannot get the 5i controller out of a lock state

James Flynn

DL380 G2 - cannot get the 5i controller out of a lock state

I have a DL380 G2 which I am trying to configure as raid 1 with 2 18gb hds. boot with the smartstart 5.5 cd and cannot get past the hardware configuration - I have erased the nvram and still can't get to configure the array. Is there any else to do before paying for a tech visit? Thanks.
10 REPLIES 10
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 G2 - cannot get the 5i controller out of a lock state

A couple of things....
- have you tried a later version of SmartStart? You can download the latest version (7.3) here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/smartstart/index.html

- have you tried to manually configure (via SmartStart) with the Array Configuration Utility (ACU)?

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
James Flynn

Thanks for the reply Doug. I have tried 6.4 smartstart and the ACU configuration utility does not see anything to configure. Tried using smartstart 7.0 and it did not successfully load.
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

does the SmartStart CD initially load, and then just not see the 5i?

do you get any specific error messages?

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

I found this, which looks a lot like your problem, although the resolution is a little vague.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=316587&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=PSD_EA031112_CW01

When you boot the server and it runs through POST, does it see the 5i controller? It should say something like 2 physical drives found... and then it gives you an option to configure (F7 or F8 maybe). Can you go into the Option ROM Configuration for Compaq Arrays (ORCA) utility from there? This is a ROM based (text) ACU that allows you to configure the array.

If the server sees the 5i during POST, you should be able to configure it via ORCA. If not, you may have a 5i HW problem.

Another thing to check is to go into the ROM Based Setup Uitility (RBSU) during POST (F10 I think) and see how the 5i is configured, or if it accidentally got disabled. Do you have any other disk controllers in the server?

Thanks,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
James Flynn

I am not getting the 5i initialing during the post so I am unable to do an F8.
James Flynn

Got Smartstart 7.0 to run and when I go to the ACU screen to configure I get the message ACU did not detect any supported controllers in your system.
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Does it show up when you go into the RBSU (F10 at POST)?

Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Mark S_4

Hello, this is a common problem with the DL380G2's, (Not a known issue though).
You can try to lift the controller off the board and reseat it. Failing that unfortunately the only other option is to replace the controller.
Cheers...Mark
James Flynn

Doug - no it does not show up in the RBSU
Mark - Thanks for your suggestion and it almost worked- it showed up and I configured the array but it did not hold. I have now replaced the 5i controller.
once again all, thanks for the help.