ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752785 Members
5769 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G2 disappear 5i controller from boot screen after BIOS upgrade

Gustavo Ayala

DL380 G2 disappear 5i controller from boot screen after BIOS upgrade

I've got a proliant DL 380 G2 with a Smart Array 5i embedded controller.
From time to time during boot was failing to detect the Smart Array 5i controller.

I supposed upgrading both firmware and system ROM will solve the problem.
So first I upgraded online in windows Smart Array 5i firmware to latest version 2.76 (cp009289.exe)
All went well, and windows was booting OK.

After that I checked the BIOS version and as it was old ( P24 12/11/2001 ) I decided to upgrade it to the latest version ( cp004648.exe 5/1/2004 )

The first reboot after upgrading BIOS in windows I notice it was still booting from the old version ( the new one was in the backup ROM )

From that time during POST the message Smart Array 5i controller detecting disks didn't show up anymore.
Also it doesn't show up in the Standard Boot Orden (IPL) anymore. It was there before the bios upgrade.

It's still showing in Boot Controller Order as Ctrl1 and I can see it in PCI devices as well.

But I can't boot from it anymore.

I switched back and forth BIOS versions between the old one and the new one, and erased NVRAM several times, but it doesn't show up nor it's detected in the POST screen anymore.

Any ideas ?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Replace the server board. Call HP. If you have a Carepaq open a ticket.
Gustavo Ayala

How can I downgrade Smart Array 5i firmware ?

I want to test to downgrade it to the original version ( 2001 / 2002 or so ) to see what happens.
Gustavo Ayala

Never mind. I've found how to download old firmwares and I will test with the firmware updater CD (as I can't boot windows now).
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You downgrade firmware by getting a previous ISO CD. Boot it. You can force a downgrade. Some components don't downgrade and have to be replaced. I found on embedded components, I had to replace the server board.
Gustavo Ayala

Firmware update CD and Smart Start HP Diagnostics didn't find the controller, so downgrade was impossible.

I've found and old Smart Array 5i in the deposit, replaced it, and it's working now.
I don't know if it was a hardware failure or it was the firmware upgrade.
I suppose it was a hardware problem, but it only appeared after the firmware and BIOS upgrade.

In any case, it's working now .. Smart Array 5i with an old firmware.
I'll touch nothing else now nor upgrade anything !! :-)

Thanks.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Firmware BIOS corruption on the hardware. The firmware does not install properly.