7534 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G2 fan solution not sufficient problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
rharris14

DL380 G2 fan solution not sufficient problem

This is probibly a simple question for someone, receitly put a G2 online as a drawing archive server, running Win2000 server but have no server functions going (just a drawing dump). It has 2304Mb memory and dual 1.4 GHz processors. It has been running fine for about 6 weeks but this morning nobody could connect to it.
When checked it had a popup saying that the updates could not be applied without rebooting, so I rebooted, common with auto updates due to the network settings.
But then the problems started, it will check the memory and show the dual processors then it errors with 'Fan 3 failure detected (fan zone I/O)'and then 'Fan 4 failure detected (fan zone I/O)' & 'fan solution not sufficient' then it just reboots.

Moved the fans to different slots (fully populated system) and the problem stays, checked all connections and cards, all look good, no visible damage.

It doesn't get far enough to upgrade the BIOS that I know needs to be upgraded or even boot from any device. The update could have been and is probibly just timing and has nothing to do with the problem.

Anybody have any thoughts or is the computer just dead. It has been on the shelf for probibly 18 months before this and is considered obsolete by the program.

4 REPLIES 4
John Drew
Advisor

Re: DL380 G2 fan solution not sufficient problem

one or more of the fans have failed. the server is designed not to start so it won't cause damage to itself (i.e. overheat)

there are primary fan positions that need to be filled for the server to start.

the following advisory is for the G3, but the G2 is going to be basically the same.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=PSD_CN0158W

rharris14

Thanks for the response, that was quick! I read the page but that does not explain why when I moved fan 3 & 4, which had the amber lights, and the other 5 fans had green, to slots 7 & 8 that slots 3 & 4 still had the amber light and 7 & 8 were now green.?
A bad fan was my first thought also and it still could be but is there any reason for the slot that the fan goes into to go bad? I know electronics is a lot of PFM (pure freaking magic, I have a backgroud in electronics) and strange things happen, I was just wondering if there was a setting or software/firmware that can shutdown the slots. Thanks again.
John Drew
Advisor
Solution

PFM - that's one of my favorites; I'm sure you say it differently outside of the forum though ;-)

If memory serves me correctly the pins on the motherboard are male, and the fans have female connectors.

I'd check the pins on the motherboard where the fans plug in and see if you have any bent/broken pins, since the fans work when going into different ports.

I'm not aware of any settings and/or jumpers that can disable the fans (I'd be surprised if there were)
rharris14

Thanks again. Your right, I do have a different word for PFM.
Yes the fans are female connectors, since there are not any settings and/or jumpers it looks like a bad motherboard. I rechecked the fans and they all work, its the slots.

Thanks for you help.