5514 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

DL380 G3 - CD/Optical Drive light flashes stead, but no read

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bill Spallino

DL380 G3 - CD/Optical Drive light flashes stead, but no read

I recently inherited a project to get a DL380-G3 up and running for a client. The machine was running Win2003 Server, but I am going to convert it to a VMWare ESXi 3.5 Server.

The machine will not boot from ANY boot CD (I've tried several, including the ESXi, SmartStart, 2k3 server, XP, Ubuntu, and a WinPE "rescue" disk). The CD Drive just flashes steadily when the the box is powered on.

I tried cleaning it, no dice. So, I ordered a replacement - same model, etc. I get the same results - flashing amber light on the front.

I set up a PXE server, just to make sure the DL380 server is OK, and booted several different Linux kernels. No problem. I also booted from Diskette, again, it read fine.

Before I started, I checked that the machine booted correctly in Win2k3, then I provisioned the SCSI (6x18.9 Gig, Raid 1+0), reset the BIOS via the F9 clear NVRAM option, plus used dip switch 6 to reset as well. I have tried the CD in every position in the boot order, to no avail.

Given that I've used two different CD drives, I am ruling out a bad drive. It almost feels like a secret "Don't boot from CD" switch is set somewhere and isn't clearing.

I know that's grasping for straws, but I am at a loss to explain this.

Any ideas anyone?
5 REPLIES 5
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G3 - CD/Optical Drive light flashes stead, but no read

1. Does the CD drive show up in the BIOS as a bootable device?

2. Have you tried the two CD drives on another server and verified they work?

> Before I started, I checked that the machine booted correctly in Win2k3

Can you still boot the server in W2003? If so check if each CD drive works as a data drive.
Ali
HPE Pro
Solution

Hi Bill,

you can Use ILO virtual media to install the OS remotely.

have you used the two CDrom drives on the same server ? as you mentioned in your post.
If so issue could be related to Universal Media Bay adapter board which has cdrom drive connector.

as you have tried multiple boot CDs and two drives, you may log a case with hp to get the Universal Media Bay adapter board replaced.

to see the replacement procedure of media adapter bay, please refer to dl380 g3 service and maintenance guide.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00065010/c00065010.pdf

thanks,
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Bill Spallino

Thanks Aftab,

I had somehow formed the impression the iLO was a high-dollar software add-on. Au Contraire.

Although the "Advanced" piece required to utilize a local CD-ROM resources was needed, it was available on a 60-day free evaluation.

Long story short, it worked like a charm. What a great product! I was about to configure, boot, and provision the server from my workstation flawlessly.

While the DL380 G3 was not specifically listed on the VMWare HCL, the install was the most effortless ESXi install I've ever done. Literally, insert disk, boot, and run.

As an aside, the CD on the 380 stopped flashing once the host OS was installed - weird.

Anyway, thanks again for getting this idea going. I owe you a cold one!

Thanks

Bill
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Bill,

Greetings!

Glad to know that you managed to get this moving!

Please don't forget to assign points if you think information provided is helpful..:)

Cheers!
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Bill Spallino

Aftab,

Done - you got a big 10 from me. Hope i can return the favor some day.

Thanks again

Bill