New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 - CPU Heatsink removal

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hyperlord
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G3 - CPU Heatsink removal

Hi there,

I bought a second XEON CPU to replace a failed one. How do I remove the heat sink from the CPU without destroying everything?

Any help is apreciated!

brgds,
S. Simon
7 REPLIES 7
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

See the Remove/Replace Videos link below. This should help

http://h20464.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=316529&MEID=84FA8318-FAD7-4110-B83A-7A2C2789DD1F

That will also fix the problem :) Remember to assign points to answers that helped in your problem. So the forum stays alive...
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Hyperlord
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

thanks for the info and the link to the video page. But I think I need to be more precise:

I don't want to remove the processor itself (easy, though ;) ) but I want to seperate CPU and heatsink!

This was not shown in the video ...

Kind regards,
S. Simon
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

if the processor ir bad.... use alcohol....
Hyperlord
Occasional Advisor

Guys, I think you get me wrong again.

The CPU and the heat sink are linked together by a plastic frame. In that frame the CPU is "locked" - I want to remove the CPU from the heat sink and replace it's position by the new CPU but can't get that CPU out there without destroying that plastic stuff.

Illustrated here: http://serverparts.com.au/images/307103-001.jpg

I'll start removing every screw on that "CPU Kit" now and report back ...

But thanks anyway, more comments are welcome! ;)

brgds
S. Simon
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Simon,

Each time I ordered a replacement the CPU and heatsink shipped together. Did that not happen with your order?

Anyway, you won't have much luck removing the side screws. All that does is frees up the gold outer casing. Instead, carefully press outward on the flap on either side of the processor and you will be able to safely slide it out. Remember to clean with alcohol, let it dry, and apply some thermal grease along with the new processor.

Good luck, we appreciate the points if you appreciate the answers!
Hyperlord
Occasional Advisor

Good Morning WFH-WI,

hehe I haven't had time yesterday so I tried the 3rd run on sperating those two and I was able to do it like you said (sadly I read it just after the success), thanks and have fun with the points ;)

Anyway it REALLY sucks that there is not one word about that in any documentation or FAQ around. I was starting feeling kind of ... idiotic to fail with such a task ;)

Have a nice day, closed successfully.

Brgds
S.Simon

Hyperlord
Occasional Advisor

Fixed by WFH-WI's solution.