ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753483 Members
4426 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 G3 - Changing a Hard Disk

Russell_M

DL380 G3 - Changing a Hard Disk

I have 2 older DL380 servers.  I inherited my IT position here a couple of years ago, but have never had to do anything but maintenance on these things.  Can a hard drive on thse be hot swapped like on the newer generations??

6 REPLIES 6
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: DL380 G3 - Changing a Hard Disk

Hi,

Here is the QuickSpecs for this server.

This server will support Hotplug hard drives, but if you have question about How to identify hotplug drives, then it can be identified by small maroon/red color handel to remove the drive.

http://partsurfer.hpe.com/ShowPhoto.aspx?partnumber=289243-001

Thank You!
I am a HPE employee

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

MKahtani
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

i have the same issue. 3 HDD only connected with Raid5 configuration. One got failed and its really old HDD and hard to get in the local market. If i got it, is it works a hot swipe by removing the old HDD and connect the new one?

If i could not find the exact HDD which is 36.4Gb 10k, can i replace it with a higher capacity like 72 GB 15K or more?

Thanks.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Yes, you can replace a failed drive with one of a larger capacity

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
MKahtani
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jimmy,

but the current HDD is 36.4 GB 10 K RPM and the HDD which i supposed to replce is 72 GB 15 K RPM, will that cause any problem?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It should not cause any issues, the drive will be configured like the other 36.4 drives, the remaining space is just not used.

As with any suggestion made when working with drives or controllers, make sure you have a valid backup of the data

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
MKahtani
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Jimmy,

The problem solved, finally i found the same type of hard disk and its quite expensive. Hopefully that wont happen again otherwise i will follow you advice to replace with a higher capacity base on the server compatibility.

Thanks again.