Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G3 - Expand RAID Volume - Win2K SP4

jbielot_1
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G3 - Expand RAID Volume - Win2K SP4

Hi,

I have a DL380 G3 running Windows 2000 server with SP4. Controller is a Smart Array 5i. I was running out of disk space on a RAID 5 volume consisting of (3) 36gb U320 SCSI drives. I installed a 4th drive and using the HP ACU v7.60.18.0 I expanded the array. That worked fine. Once that was done (took almost 2 days!), I went to 'Extend' the logical drive. I am receiving a warning that with Windows Server 2000/SP3 (not what I have) and Dynamic disks (unfortunately, I have this - I didn't set it up), that Windows 2000 may not recognize the drive after it's extended. Since I'm at SP4, can I proceed with some assurance that I won't have this issue? This is our database server and I'd rather not have to fix this after the fact if it's in fact a known issue.

Thanks!

John
2 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G3 - Expand RAID Volume - Win2K SP4

John:

I believe the warning pertains to Windows 2000 Server with Sp3 and Earlier. i have expanded disks before on Sp4, but nver with dynamic disks in the mix.

I don;t expect there to be a problem with it, but I would definitely try to get some additional references from others who may have done this with dynamic disks.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
jbielot_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: DL380 G3 - Expand RAID Volume - Win2K SP4

Thanks. The dynamic disks are the question. I've generally avoided using them due to various problems that they seem to cause.

John