cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DL380 G3 Fan Driver

Dave Maley
Occasional Visitor

DL380 G3 Fan Driver

Greetings from Iowa. I 've put up a DL380G3 server in my basement shop to use as part of an advanced network security class this fall. I work on a college campus that is mostly HP/Intel/Microsoft. The Server manager gave me a new package of Proliant Essentials Foundation Pack version 8.15 and a box of old 36GB SCSI360 drives. I found six drives that get along and show no errors or warnings. Loaded Win2003R2 via the HP disks. Updated everything. All the fans are good. They come up all under hardware control and stay there. I can not find a fan or health driver that might control their speed. Is there such a thing? I don't think this was designed to run in a shop. It sounds like a Hoover. Thanks in advance.
Dave...
3 REPLIES
Rajashekar Chintakunta
Honored Contributor

Re: DL380 G3 Fan Driver

Hi Dave,

Please check the below Customer Notice with reference to System Fan Control For The ProLiant DL380 G3 Server:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01214901&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Ensure that the server us running with latest PSP or alteast ensure that the controller driver is latest. Controller driver is the one which will manage the fan speed.

HP ProLiant iLO Advanced and Enhanced System Management Controller Driver for Windows Server 2003:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316529&prodNameId=3288130&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-4c0921b1fd2b40aa82d0b93b1b

Regards,
Raj.
Dave Maley
Occasional Visitor

Raj;

Thanks for the information. I downloaded and attempted to install the driver. The server informaed me that it was already installed, but allowed me to reinstall it. No change in fan operation. I then went and downloaded an earlier version that would be appropiate for the age of this server. Still no change in fan speed. I've not found a menu item where software fan control could be enabled, either in HP management software or in windows. HP software does inform me of the temperature in each zone and the condition of each fan.
What have I missed?, or is there a specific set of conditions that need to be met?
Thank you in advance again.
Dave...
Steve-Wright
Occasional Visitor

Hi Dave, did you ever resolve this issue because I have just treated myself to a DL380 G3 for home use with SBS and those fans are really noisey as you know.
Thanks
Steve