ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752857 Members
3878 Online
108790 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3/G4 Novell Overlay CD Install

Steve Scharschmidt

DL380 G3/G4 Novell Overlay CD Install

I have a Proliant DL 380 G4 and the only option I have to install Novell 5.1 is with the NW 5.1 Overlay CD Option. I am having a problem installing with the NW5.1 SP7 Overlay CD. When it gets to the point of loading Java and the GUI part of the install. It fails at that point. I tested this install with the Overlay CD on a DL380 G3 and get the same result. But I can install 5.1 using the original NW5.1 CD to a G3, but not a G4. Then I do a SP7 update afterwards on the G3. Anyone have a way to install NW5.1 Overlay on a G4? Any help would be appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6
Stuart_45
Advisor

Hi:

Try checking the solution in Novell TID 10095661 at http://support.novell.com. Not sure if it is what you are experiencing exactly, but perhaps it will assist you.

Burgermeister

I have the same problem with a ML350 G4 and I tried to find the right Novell 5.1 overlay CD without succes.
Could somebody tell me/us where find it ?

Roland Burgermeister
Steve Scharschmidt

I have more specifics to this problem. I am using SmartStart 7.10 to build the server. When I get to the part of the install, where the GUI loads, Java seems to crash with the following error.

Java: Page fault processor exception occurred while executing class com.novell.application.install.setup

State of registers at processor Exception:
EIP=D46C8638, EFLAGS=14246,EAX=0, ECX=D8863390, EDX=D8863390, EBX=0, ESP=D5E587B8, EBP=D5858818, ESI=0, EDI=D5E59B24,

The exception occurred while executing code in: JVM.NLM (d46ae000)

The exception occurred while running thread: java_153 thread-2 (D5E5B540)

Anybody getting this?

Steve Scharschmidt

I think I have fix for this. I burned a NW5.1 SP7 Overlay CD from an ISO image on Novell's Consolidated Support Pack 10 DVD ROM. I disable the CPU Hyper Treading in the BIOS. During the install, do not load/install the ACPIDRV.PSM driver. I was able to finish the install with no noticeable problems. I also enabled Hyper Treading and installed ACPIDRV.PSM afterwards. I will try to stress test the server to make sure it does not abend. I am not sure why the ISO image from the Consolidated Support Pack worked. I tried this same procedure with a downloaded ISO image from Novell's website and still had install problems. If anybody has anything to add to this, please do.

Thanks!
Burgermeister

I finaly get the right NW5.1 SP7 overlay from Novell. I did the small mistake of searching "overlay" as a keyword...
As Steve I can install now without noticable pb.
Steve Scharschmidt

I did find out the ACPIDRV.PSM driver will make an HP ML/DL Server lock up. Novell recommends either disabling Hyper-Threading or loading CPQMPK.PSM on NetWare 5.x. I found a TID #10091810.