1752796 Members
5784 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3, Issues installing Win2003 using iLO and virtual media

Scott Pease_4
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G3, Issues installing Win2003 using iLO and virtual media

Trying to install Win2003 to a new DL380 G3 using the iLO Advanced + virtual CD.

Using SmartStart 6.4, I can get the server to come up, run all thru smart start, and get to the point where I put in the Win2k3 CD and it shows that it's copying files to the system.

Then it reboots, I remote the CD from my drive, and so far 1 of 3 things happens:

1) System goes thru initial post and then I get a black screen that didn't go away after 2 hours - I assumed it was hung ;)
2) 1 time it ACTUALLY went thru the next step in the process where it shows actually copying the windows install files to the system then reboots and SHOULD have started the actual windows setup configuration - it hung again.
3) 1 other time, it rebooted and threw up a General Protection Fault after post - ouch.

Not sure where we've gone wrong. It sure seems like the whole point of having virtual CD capability with the iLO SHOULD let us build this server remotely. It even seems like it's working, right up until that reboot after copying the windows install files off the CD for the first time... then it just seems to die. Any suggestions, ideas, pointers to a whitepaper I missed somewhere?
20 REPLIES 20
Eric_76
Regular Advisor

have you tried building it via local cd?
just to eliminate that part..

somehow it is sounding like it is a memory issue tryit with minimal memory and if it fails try the other memory.

you did install the array controller driver during windows setup right?? F6.F6.F6

Scott Pease_4
Occasional Advisor

I'd try local, but I'm in Chicago and this server is in London (and 2 others site in New Delhi & Bangalore). As much as I'd love to rack up the frequent flyer miles, local access isn't an option at this point. :(

I also did try doing an install of Win2k3 w/out the smart start CD, but it also hung when I tried to give it the correct disk with the drivers. I'm going to try and make a new image of that floppy disk and give it another go today I think, we'll see.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is the firmware for the ILO is updated.

HP recommends upgrading iLO firmware to version 1.15 (or later) on these servers, and iLO firmware version 1.10 is available from the following URLs:

* Options ROMPaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for Compaq Integrated Lights-Out Management Controller Version 1.10 - SP19835

* Firmware Upgrade Image for Compaq Integrated Lights-Out Management Controller Version 1.10 - SP19836 (binary image)

Meanwhile i am checking on more information.
The server is installed where in indis.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Just a correction to the previous post, the latest iLO FW version is 1.55. Please also be aware that FW versions below this on the iLO have a well known security vulnerability (port zero attacks)..You can read all about this at AusCert.

So, please update your firmware to the
latest V1.55
Confirm that the speed/duplex on the Network Interface of the iLo is forced/duplex from switch and the card both end.
Confirm that you are running the required Java Plug in for the ilo i.e. the correct version. This has often lead to performance frustrations!!!
Go through the graphical performance enhancements tricks for the ILO.

I wish you could use the TermSvcsPassThrough for iLOs for the OS install ;)

Hope it was of help and don't forget to assign points:)

Regards,

Scott Pease_4
Occasional Advisor

Actually am running 1.55 firmware in the iLO and current P29 (may 2004) BIOS for the DL380 G3. Still validating everything else, but looks like all firmware is fully up to date...
wayne_82
Occasional Advisor

look at microsoft article referring to virtual media q294820, also have you tried to start install using smart start cd, because the o/s files are then loaded to the local hard drive, and not reading virtual media at that time.
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What about mannual installation not using smartstartcd. does it changed anything.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Scott Pease_4
Occasional Advisor

i'm in the process of building a new floppy image with the 642 controller card drivers on it to try booting the system to the win2k3 iso I have, then have it use the new 642.img to see if I can get it pull the correct controller drives and see the logica drive I've setup and install to that. So far it's hung when I've tried, but it might be the img I made yesterday (was having issues with both the "Create disk image" thru the ilo and with dd). We'll see I guess? :)
Scott Pease_4
Occasional Advisor

Okay, update: after it ran thru the "Windows setup is copying files to your hard disk" successfully, the system immediately rebooted, then when it came up the 642 reported "valid data found in the array, it will be written to disk" message, and after it finishes the check on all the controllers, I get... (including actual text of full error since who knows, maybe someone from HP is reading this and can actually figure out what's going wrong based on the actual error message)

TRAP 0000000D == General Protection Fault ==

tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3=00000000
gdt limit=03FF base=00017000 idt limit=07FF base=00017400

cs:eip=0008:00500006 ss:esp=0010:00061FE8 errcode=1334
flags=00010057 Cy Zr IntDis Down TrapDis
eax=0000110C ebx=00402729 ecx=00001618 edx=534D0040 ds=0010 es=0010
edi=00471650 esi=00061D68 ebp=00061FF0 cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000

Then the system just completely hangs, nothing more. I can reboot and start the entire process, but this is as far as I've ever gotten.

Current system specs, just in case it helps:
-> DL380G3 (just purchased in last week)
-> Running BIOS P29 from 5/1/2004 (v.4.07)
-> iLO running firmware v 1.55
-> 642 controller set as boot controller, 1 logical drive configured (mirror set of 2 x 36G U320 15krpm drives), controller running firmware v 1.92A
-> attempting to install using valid ISOs of SmartStart 6.4 and Windows 2003 using machine on local LAN (same office as server being built)