3735 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: DL380 G3 Screen goes black after finding HDD

drebaje
Visitor

DL380 G3 Screen goes black after finding HDD

Hello,

I have a DL380 G3 2.4 GHZ 400MHZ running Windows 2003. After the boot menu the system just freezes. When I hit F8 the safe mode menu comes up, I then hit enter on safe mode and the system freezes. Would the smart array cause such a behaviour? Or should I just try a windows 2003 repair? Thank you in advance. 

7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hello!

Try some hardware diagnostics.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=3288130&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316529&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#7813

the smartstart CD has some diagnostics/tests you can run.
If you suspect it's the smart array - try loading ACU or ADU and see if there's any errors.
drebaje
Visitor

Thank you Johan,

I will try that tomorrow. If the check comes up clean i'll try to repair the OS. This maybe a dumb question but can I use any version of Win 2003 Disc to perform a repair? For instance, using a R2 disc to repair a non R2 installation?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Not a dumb question. I don't know the answer :p
anshukumar2
Visitor

i have a dought  that if logiacl drive is configure propely or not

So when your system boot .....do you find logical drive ....

if not go to ORCA and configure your logical drive for the same

or u can do it through smart stat cd.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

I don't think the OS would boot if the logical drive was improperly configured. Maybe there is something wrong with OS logical drive, array, controller. But if it wouldn't find the logical drive then it wouldn't start to load the OS.
drebaje
Visitor

No errors at start up at all. Finds the array and the drive then tries to boot. I ran a Disc Diag from Smartstart today and saw that one of the drives failed the test. That should do it right ? Please see attached. 

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey. 

Yeah that should definitely do it.

Before you replace I would confirm what kind of RAID you have. You can find this in the ACU - array configuration utility - should be on the smartstart CD.