ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753816 Members
8978 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 Second Proccessor

Marc Fogel

DL380 G3 Second Proccessor

I just received a new Compaq DL380 G3. In addition I purchased the proccessor option kit. The second proccessor will not stay in tight when locked. I first thought it may be the socket si i took out the original proccessor and installed it in the second slot. When in fine, nice and tight. No big deal, my vendor agreed to RMA the second proccessor. I ordered a replacement proccessor from another source which cam in today. Wouldn't you know it, this one will not go in tight.
Bad luck or does Compaq have a huge problem on their hands.
I am very annoyed.
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick v.d. Veen
Occasional Advisor

Hey There,

Did you first place the proc in the cooling module ?
For as my experience is that is the only right way.

Put the proc in the cooling module. Then place this complete kit in the socket en lock it using the metal chassis.

Patrick
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

Hey Marc,

Out of the handfull of G3's I've put another proc. in, a bout 2 were loose like you said. After closing the cage (or whatever you call it) the processor was secure, so I was ok with it. Hopefully it doesn't fall out one day, hehe.
Marc Fogel

It comes with the cooling module attached.

>Out of the handfull of G3's >I've put another proc. in, a >bout 2 were loose like you >said. After closing the cage >(or whatever you call it) >the processor was secure, so >I was ok with it. Hopefully >it doesn't fall out one day, >hehe.

Something is seriously wrong when the upgrade doesn't sit as tight as the original.

I considered doing this then decided to take the black clip off and have the proccessor sit in tight and have the heat sink sit on top. If you look on th rev. of th black clip, the upgrades come with rev. B and the originals are rev A. I think the Rev. B are tooled wrong.
Compaq is sending me a replacement proccessor. I suspect it will sit loose as well. If so, I am going to raise heck.
John Grove_1
Occasional Advisor

We have had the G3 through with 2 proc when the heatsink is clamped down the processor is fine. Just the way it has been designed to be.

John