1753792 Members
7500 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: DL380 G3 - Smart Array 641

cb_24
Occasional Advisor

DL380 G3 - Smart Array 641

We have a DL380 G3 with a Smart Array 641 reporting a battery failure. Does the whole card need to be replaced or just the battery on the card?
6 REPLIES 6
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Hi,
You need to replace only battery.
But before battery replacing:
check you have at least 2.48 firmware on your SmartArray 641 card
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/revision/7584.html

"Updated the battery charging firmware to reduce the frequency and duration of battery charging cycles. This helps prevent overcharging the battery, which can contribute to premature battery failures. This also reduces the time required for a battery recharge cycle to complete.

Updated the battery firmware to improve the sensing and reporting of battery health. This helps prevent battery status messages from alternating or indicating false status.

Updated the battery firmware to reduce the chances of deep discharging the battery. This helps to maintain the capacity of the battery in the event data was trapped in the cache over the specified backup duration.

Updated the battery firmware to keep the charge capacity during a controller firmware update. This helps prevent the inconvenience of battery back write cache becoming temporarily disabled due to a required recharge following a battery firmware update. "
cb_24
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your help.

Don't happen to have the part number for just the battery? i have the controller part number.
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

>>Don't happen to have the part number for
just the battery?

According HP partsurfer
http://partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main
part number for battery is 307132-001

"3.6V battery pack assembly - 500mAH nickel metal hydride (NiMH) - Battery is oval shaped, 12.5mm (0.5in) high, 38mm (1.5in) wide, and 77mm (3.0in) long - For optional cache memory module
REQUIRES RETURN OF DEFECTIVE PART "
BERTON_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello
One year ago, I have the same problem with the same server and the same array.
I have phone to the french hp support, they said me that I need to upgrade the firmware of the SA641.
when the firmware is updated, the array start a new charge of the battery.

after the update to the 2.68 firmware, I never see this status.
maybe there are some bugs in old firmares

Pascal
cb_24
Occasional Advisor

The firmware on this array card is currently 2.58 which should be fine, though there is 2.68 out now.

Upgrade the firmware first or just replace the battery?
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello carl,

2.58 should be fine.

The battery status should be in a "temporarily disabled" or "failed" state in ACU.

Before replacing the battery,install 2.68 and reboot the server.

See if the battery status changes to "charging".

If it does,wait for minimum of 48-72 hrs for it to be normal.

Else replace the battery.

SRH